Selecting Inverter for LCD

Hello all,

How does one go about selecting an inverter for LCD backlight? I have a Sharp LQ050Q5DR01 and don't know where to begin looking for one!! On a related topic, where do I find the connector to build a cable to my SBC?

Thanks

REF:

1
Reply to
Sumit Birla

The referenced URL doesn't give any technical details but you might look at the inverter at

to see if it meets specs. Note: this is probably surplus and "hobby grade" (which is why I have the link ;-). Or, just go to Digikey and search on "inverter."

Cable? Who knows. Need a better source link.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thanks for the info. Here is a link to the datasheet for the LCD if it helps -

What I gather is that the inverter does not have to be specifically designed for a particular LCD - is this right? The display is so expensive (for a hobbyist) that I don't want to risk destroying anything.

ype=store

Reply to
Sumit Birla

designed

The LCD datasheet specifies what you want in the inverter pretty succinctly, on page 6. You would normally select the frequency (fL) to avoid interference patterns with the display refresh, and tweak it to mitigate radiated noise. FYI

has some useful background reading material on CCFL characteristics and inverter design issues.

By the way, pretty much the worst you could possibly do by using the "wrong" inverter is shorten the backlight life. The CCFL tube is readily replaced (it's not a manufacturer-supported process, of course, because the LCM is sold as a monolithic module, but it's frequently done).

This LCD is *very* similar to an LCM we have used in a discontinued commercial product. If you are in the U.S. I can send you a free inverter (which is not guaranteed in any way, being a service part that's been in storage for ~2 years) for your experiments. Email me your address if you want one. The CCFL specs are very similar, but I can't positively guarantee that they're the same, because the LCD specs we were using changed several times over the production history.

--

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Learn how to develop high-end embedded systems on a tight budget!

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards