Selecting Embryos For Higher IQ

Make up your mind: does intelligence have a genetic and population component, or not?

Have you spent much time in West Virginia?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Marriage and birth records indicate that about half of kids born in colonial New England were, to say it politely, premature.

Ben Franklin and his pals seemed to have a lot of fun.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

He could easily end the misery of existing.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

And did they have the same success?

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Probably! but it's one of those so-what kind of questions like whether free will exists or not that academics and wannabe academics love to debate and study endlessly that I personally think has little practical bearing on the real world. everyone's just got axes to grind. it's academic axe-grinding (like a lot of Riachard Dawkin's work, too.)

Like if you could be 100% confident that exactly 47% of "intelligence" (whatever it is) is heritable, and that blacks tend to have 7 points lower IQ on average than whites and that this is God's Truth what precisely would you or anyone do with that information.

I think it's a dreadfully dull gosh-science-facts question that has little explanatory power even if we knew God's truth on the matter and definitely not to explain the difference between DR and Haiti.

Whether pi + e or pi - e is transcendental or not (we don't know) seems a much more interesting question and we might actually be able to figure out God's truth on that one but nobody discusses it much.

Lived there during the summers in the late 1990s, on the Ohio river. One time in late August I saw a huge cloud of fireflies in a small grassy dell by the river bank must have been hundreds or thousands of them, large subgroups of the main group all pulsing in unison somehow. Never seen anything like it before or since...

Reply to
bitrex

I heard the first President to actually be born in a hospital instead of at home was Jimmy Carter, sounds plausible. Both my parents were born around the same time and were born in a home-care setting as it had been done for all of civilized human history prior I suppose

Reply to
bitrex

Well, the usual electrical-equipment testers can resolve microamps of quiescent current (though the thresholds are higher than that). Depending on what the pass/fail I_q limits are, you could just barcode the embryos and slap 'em into the text fixture.

Reply to
whit3rd

So, if the first one was smart, why did you leave her? Maybe you weren't smart enough for her and she left you instead?

Yes, I agree. Usually very diligent and concentrate on the job at hand quite well, among other qualities.

Reply to
John S

humans will be bickering over 5 point average IQ differences between genders and races until the AIs with an IQ of ten hundred million take over.

It used to be common knowledge that there were more cluster B personality disorder/antisocial cases among men than women in Western societies but there is now also some evidence that "dark triad" traits (narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy) are more common in Western women than Western men.

Reply to
bitrex

Both are "successful" by current standards. And they both married smart guys. People pair up strongly on intelligence.

Only one has kids to far. One of them is off the charts on intelligence and beauty. It will be interesting to track her path.

One grandkid a bit autistic (partly through me, probably) which is another consequence of geeks meeting up.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I was born in a 1936 Ford.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Don't be a jerk. Nobody likes jerks.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I believe that was my father's first car, which he bought used for about $250 - that was the WW2 service discharge bonus for a staff sergeant.

Reply to
bitrex

I mean, not the particular one you were born in, but they were all fairly similar AFAIK

Reply to
bitrex

All I know is you aren't making any sense. Alexandria, VA is the one I try to avoid. Too many people who are just as happy if you die or not. Most places you can get folks to treat you as if you at least exist.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Finally the light comes on! Oh, wait, he still doesn't get it, does he?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Don't be a jerk. Nobody likes jerks.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I was born in a 1936 Ford.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Right but that has little to do with the IQ of anyone in Alexandria, VA either.

My grandmother bought a modest brownstone townhouse there in 1950 for $10,000 cash, it was valued a couple years back at ~$640,000

Reply to
bitrex

e:

ut instead opt for this embryo selection by polygenic scoring.

e/

intellectually disabled, is half step away from offering to find the highe st IQ in the batch.

as

nt

ary

dern society selects for intelligence, and smarter people are more likely t o get married and have kids - there's clearly fairly vigorous evolutionary selection going on in the relevant bits of the genome (granting that we are n't too sure what those bits are actually doing for intelligence/social suc cess or whatever).

ffects turned out to be kids shaping their environment to suit their talent s.

re

ect - it's down at the 0.1% level and below. Plomin thinks that the relevan t single nucleotide polymorphism identified so far each have an effect of t he order of o.1% or less, and the ones that remain to be identified will ha ve less (so you need large samples of people - in the millions - to be able to pull them out).

ke

d him.

ways.

ever people, but clever people can certainly be clever in very different wa ys.

the place.

aiti and Dominican Republic in just about every aspect of their so-called s ocieties, considering all other things remain equal among the usual excuses for this kind of disparity.

Taller people tend to have higher IQ's, particularly in countries where hav ing enough to eat is a precondition for growing up taller.

Intelligence is about 80% heritable in advanced industrial countries, where child mortality is low. In place like Haiti and Cameroon lose respectively 71.7 and 84 children from 0 to 5 per 1000, while the Dominican Repulbic lo ses 29.9.

The US comes in at 6.5 (which isn't good) and Australia at 3.7 which is fai rly typical for the advanced industrial countries where intelligence is abo ut 80% heritable.

The poorer environments in poorer countries make it appreciably less herita ble in less well-off countries, because not getting enough to eat makes you grow up short, skinny and dumb.

You'v just made a remarkably dumb comment. Where did you grow up?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to