screening

Ah, right. Thanks for clearing that up. Any screening thicker than two layers of kitchen foil is perfectly good enough. Just think all that massive weight in some spectrum analyser's and whatnot - those manufacturers must have been VERY STUPID and INCREDIBLY WASTEFUL!! :-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It takes a lot of metal to attenuate a 50 or 60-Hz magnetic field, especially when the metal is aluminum. Even a normal-gage steel box doesn't do much good.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Mo: "John? John? John, it's only ten to seven and it's Sunday morning! Turn that computer of yours off and come back to bed, John. John, I mean it!!" :-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Oh, she's still asleep, and I'm setting up breakfast. Cold water sure boils slow. We get up early on Sunday mornings to shop at Safeway, Seniors Only, but as the virus craziness fades we can probably ease up on that. There are hardly any lines now. Government hasn't eased up on rules, but people are increasingly ignoring them. Serious divergence.

I have customers in Germany too, which has shifted my timing some.

Sometimes I wake up at 3AM and think, or maybe design or Spice something. I've heard of other people with a 3AM effect. I think that may be natural.

When I was younger, I used to sleep for 10 hours, 11-12 on weekends. I'm down to about 9 now, maybe less considering the 3AM breaks.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I'm the same. I frequently wake up with a start at around 3am with a revelation concerning some problem I've been working on. Join the club! :)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

There was no line today. They'll let anybody in! Nobody metering people to keep the floor density down. Nobody at the door checking for masks, or for illegal shopping bags, nothing but a few signs that people were mostly ignoring.

The laws haven't changed, gotten more severe actually, but even Safeway is ignoring them. Viruses are boring.

The New York Times is always a single-issue rag, every piece in every section. It was all Climate Change, then Trump, then Novel Virus, and is now all Blackness.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I've heard the theory that, before artificial lighting, people went to sleep at dusk and awakened at dawn, but took a break around 3AM to eat or make love or something. The occasional 3AM thing doesn't bother me; I might be up for a half hour or so, and go back to sleep. It may be perfectly natural.

I do need to make notes (or leave .asc files, or email) if I have any good ideas, because I might forget in the morning.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

When I have a stubborn problem, the shower is where my mind sufficiently wa nders to let the blocks to a solution dissolve. So my white board is in th e hallway outside the bathroom. lol No actual connection, it was the only wall accessible enough. My places tend to not have large wall spaces, too many rooms and doors.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Now we know why California's new infection rate continues to increase. It is states like this that are driving the national rate upward. The seven d ay moving average of national daily new infections has been ramping upward for a week.

I'm guessing Arizona has unleashed the hounds as well since their infection rate seems to be exponential having tripled in just a couple/three weeks. This shows up in the worldometers data by the fact that they are far down the list in every category including the per capita data, except for curren tly infected counts where they are 11th.

Similarly Utah has pretty much quadrupled their new infection rate over the last three weeks.

While LA has brought their infection rate down from very high numbers to ab out 400 per day, their northern neighbor Arkansas has been growing their ra te for the last month to 400. Who is better off?

North Carolina has dramatically rising infection rates as does Texas and Al abama.

There are some states with good numbers. Maryland and Virginia are startin g to see lower new infection rates. All of the states around NYC are dropp ing significantly.

The disease seems to be nearly skipping Oregon and Michigan has dropped the ir rates to nearly nothing after being in the major leagues at the end of M arch.

So what are places like Texas and North Carolina doing wrong while Oregon a nd Michigan seem to be doing it right? If everyone could do what Oregon an d Michigan and many countries are doing, we would have the disease behind u s and we would be opening the country safely.

If this disease had been something like Ebola with a name we feared, we lik ely would have seen a much higher fatality rate, but we would have seen peo ple take serious action to prevent the spread of it. The total number of d eaths would have been much, much lower and while we may have locked down im pacted areas of the country, we would now be done with it and back to work. Instead we have a lingering disease that is going to kill upwards of a qu arter million people in the US alone and likely still not be done with us.

But sure enough, one day it will be magically gone. Or not.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

I have the same bathroom problem. I do my best thinking in the bathroom. However, I had no space for a white board. I have a fairly standard large mirror hanging on the inside of the door. On the back of the mirror, I attached a white sheet of Formica with contact cement. The hard part was routing the edge of the Formica using the glass as a guide. Too much pressure or the slightest nick on the edge of the glass, and I'll have a shattered mirror. Protective vinyl tape and some grease averted disaster. To mount the mirror/white-board combination on the door, I bruit a brass "shelf" for the bottom, and two rotating wood corner clips for the top. It could possibly fall apart if I slammed the door, so I'm careful not to do that. I should probably patent the idea.

My latest great idea invented and documented in my bath room is a "money laundry" for Covid-19. It looks and works much like a miniature "wringer" found on old style washing machines:

except that it's sized to paper money. The rollers are porous and pressure fed with liquid sanitizer or bleach. Drive is supplied by either an electric motor for production sanitization, or by a hand crank for portable sanitization. Unfortunately, the rest of the white board is not currently full of my great ideas. Instead, it's full of names, phone numbers, email addresses, and reminders.

I should probably name the company "Bathroom Innovations".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I made it just a phone. There are 5 people in my contact list. Only they know my number.

While driving, we are supposed to yield to pedestrians at a crosswalk, but most of them are standing and staring down into their phones. Can't wait forever.

Some people text all day. What can they possibly be saying?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The irony of Larkin has no bounds. What can anyone be posting to s.e.d with some fifty posts per day?

Larkin truly has a compulsion about posting here being happy to join in off topic threads and then criticizing people for not talking about electronics.

WTF is wrong with this guy that he can only see what he considers faults in others while being blind to the same about himself?

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

mandag den 8. juni 2020 kl. 21.31.25 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

they could be posting random rants to SED ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

"I'm on the phone!"?

Reply to
Mike Coon

Someone should invent a system that converts spoken words into text, so people wouldn't wear out their thumbs punching tiny screens all day. It would save time and accidents, too.

Some day we will have the technology.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I assume you guys are joking. I haven't typed a text message in quite some time. It seems to work both on the phone in general and also in the car.

No wear on thumbs, no accidents.