Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'

It's sure better than hanging out in bars. I met some great people in a ski club, like the co-founder of my company. And did a lot of skiing. After a number of ski weekends, you can gradually get to know someone, see what they are like, see how they behave and ski.

I don't assume that. I assume that people like to ski.

lunatic fringe electronics

Cursitor Doom thinks that anybody taking pity on his self-imposed isolation is "making an advance". His grasp of reality is decidedly weak.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And like spending time with their legs in a cast. There must be cheaper ways to get broken bones.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Amazingly, these places still exist in the US. "Rent-to-own" has a big following, with much the same clientele as "payday lenders".

A '13 F150 XLT V8 and a '14 Mustang Convertible V6 (bought a week apart). Neither has all the bling of the top-of-the-line model but they're reasonable (and quite popular) vehicles.

Not so much in the US. Of course, there is good inventory of new cars but the market for decent used cars is somewhat constrained.

Reply to
krw

I've never seen that.

What sort of clubs do you go to?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just so. Not very contentious really.

I'm struggling to recognise, let alone understand, the behaviour that Mr Doom describes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Mine is an elcheapo and the little watch type battery lasted well over ten years in occasional use.

What gets me is how these things index. I have tried to trip it up even ins talling the battery when it is not closed and still it knows. I thought the re was something to generate pulses for a sensor of some type, obviously it uses some other method.Since it works, do they still have those big ass ra cks on the ways of CNC machines ?

Reply to
jurb6006

I'm sure I remember Tony Hancock saying he didn't want to join the Young Conservatives because he was not looking for a wife. That must have been a good few decades ago! It was, of course, meant as a joke...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

he time. I recall a web page where a guy measured the current on and off a nd off wasn't much lower than on, over 100 uA I want to say. A unit that w as more quality got the idle current below 10 uA with the batteries lasting much longer.

m sooner or later, but I guess as long as people keep buying the cheap ones , they won't bother with fixing them. Things like this are hard to influen ce unless the masses are behind it. A similar issue is with the indoor/out door thermometer/hydrometers. They pretty much all suck, but people keep b uying them, so they don't bother to improve them.

What's wrong with them? Mine seem ok.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mating usually needs some sort of subtrefuge, a less than blatant way for boys and girls to meet. It used to be village dances and church meetings and such, where people could observe one another over time without pressure to decide who they will sleep with after the 2AM closing time.

Mixed-sex schools and workplaces do some of that mating intro stuff now.

The thing that scares me about the hookup culture is the roughly 60 STDs that are available. And the emotional superficiality. Really, sleeping with strangers is weird.

Given how many layers of clothes people wear when they ski, you can still learn a lot about a person's body - and personality - by skiing with them. Bodies still matter.

lunatic fringe electronics

There is also a type of woman who marries engineers. Not a bad lot at all.

"The only use that women have for engineers is to marry them."

lunatic fringe electronics

Why not put a damn switch on it and have it last for 3 years or more?

Cursitor Doom

Slide rules seem to have a lot of features I never learned, but I know what it means to add logs. They should at least understand how it works. Sort of the opposite of current tech, which they can use but don't understand.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Because the switch won't. ;-) ...and it costs more than the chip.

Reply to
krw

I'm curious about this as well. I have a Mitutoyo.

Reply to
mpm

probably gray code, or some variant thereof.

--
     ?
Reply to

You can meet nice women (and men) in church too. We need more community groups.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The standby current is broadly comparable with the self discharge rate of the cell. Short battery life is more likely down to whether or not you bridged insulation with a fingerprint when inserting the battery.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:pdeert$eeg$2 @gioia.aioe.org:

Fingerprints can cause femtoamp currents on high voltage circuits. On a low voltage battery node, I doubt even a couple, much less microamps. IOW, this is NOT where his drain is occurring.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Fingerprints, even messy greasy ones, don't conduct much.

This is a little PC board deliberately glopped with rosin flux and fingerprints. Pins the needle on the 1e14 ohm range.

lunatic fringe electronics