Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'

Some do, most don't. It seems you wouldn't know what dealers do, however.

Reply to
krw

You're lying, if only to yourself.

Reply to
krw

Many do. The vast majority don't.

It doesn't matter. It's money in my pocket (and out of theirs - just because I used their card). Works for me.

No, there isn't, when you're so wrong.

Reply to
krw

ybe things are different there.

effectively, I understand why its's tempting.

Krw does have this problem about other people thinking things other than wh at krw "knows" to be true. Krw's internal database is not only infallible, but also universally accessible (according to him) to anybody who disagrees with him has to be a liar (as opposed to - say - sane).

. Why pay them?

Krw doesn't seem to think at all. It's knee-jerk reactions all the way down , with the emphasis on the jerk ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

there's something uniquely stupid about a person that a) proposes a stupid explanation b) insists it's what someone else thinks c) even when that someone else says no that's not what I think.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Private sellers are only better value if you know a lot about cars. Car auctions are even more fun if you really know what you are doing and can be disciplined enough not to get into a bidding war.

That isn't true if you go to the right UK secondhand dealers. Obviously "used car salesman" has the connotation here that you should count your fingers before and after every transaction but there are some decent ones around if you ask locally and know people interested in cars.

There are also some pretty dodgy backstreet ones too.

I have had a main dealer screw up the brakes on my car by leaving one of the plastic keepers on the pads. I know they are not perfect no-one is.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

it does depend on knowledge & price bracket, and true enough the average punter knows near nowt.

not dodgy if you avoid the dodgy ones. Well yes :)

people often recommend bad goods or suppliers if their buy went ok

oh sure. It's the nicely polished car lots I would not suggest trusting.

be glad that was the problem. I've seen far worse.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I suspect some of the smaller coins are worth more as scrap metal than their face value. That is certainly true of the older non-ferrous alloy coinage used in the UK. The modern stuff is now all plated magnetic iron rubbish that goes rusty once scratched (and broke most slot machines).

It is even worse with Amex - they take the biggest cut of any.

The larger stores do - they have to pay to ship vast quantities of cash to central sorting offices where the stuff is counted packaged and made ready for loading into ATMs again. It got quite interesting during the changeover to the new plastic bank notes and pound coins in the UK.

In the UK businesses get charged for their physical bank transactions unless they get paid electronically by point to point transfer.

by contactless bank card these days but there is still a lot of physical cash in circulation. High value notes all liberally coated in cocaine.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

their face value."

When the olman was retired and had too much time on his hands he figured th at pennies were 130 to the pound and copper was definitely more than $ 1.30 /lb. (it was $ 2.50 at one time and I had a vacant house, guess what happen ed) Anyway his diabolical plan for untold wealth and the subsequent world c onquest went down the proverbial drain because pennies are mostly zinc. The copper just gives it the color, like Hamburger Helper.

At least on this side of the pond, the collectors take everything that is w orth anything.

Reply to
jurb6006