Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'

Unlikely. I have very dry skin. I haven't used a neon screwdriver in years; it's easier and more reliable to just stick my fingers in the mains (and even then it takes a few seconds to feel anything). I don't get any false positives this way. And I'm in 240V land, btw.

Cursitor Doom

You have to pretend to believe in sky fairies though.

Reply to
+++ATH0

I think he might be one of those "incels".

Reply to
+++ATH0

You can (and do) meet nasty ones in church too.

Mensch is mensch; people are people.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Slowman drools (explicitly) excrement. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

I'm paid better than probably a good 75% of the American population, it's just that I refuse to live beyond my means and take on a large debt burden to "keep up."

Many people appear to be doing much better than I am superficially judging by their cars and homes. Many people are going deep in the hole to do it. Outside of a car payment I have close to $0 in installment or revolving debt.

Paying cash for a $35,000 what I consider "decent" car is a money-loser. Buying a $350,000 home in most areas of the Northeast is a money-loser. Better to rent and keep that cash liquid somewhere it can actually make money instead of just sit around and depreciate.

Reply to
bitrex

There are some sorta-spiritual, but not conventionally religious, church-like things around. Some even happen in churches. They perform some of the classic functions of a church, letting people meet and talk about life issues, and find mates. Sports bars don't count.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sloman is one of those "insulters."

lunatic fringe electronics

Right the UU church is like that, atheists, agnostics, Jews, Christians, Wiccans.... There are some who believe in the healing power of magnets, or magic crystals... but you don't have to pretend to believe them. Just nod and move on.

(And A-holes too as Tom G. said, I find some strident atheists to be as obnoxious as strident fundamentalists.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Lol! Like you AREN'T??!!!

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

That's a little much, but if you keep it for 10 or 15 years, the insurance and gas and maintanance will cost more.

Paying cash is almost always better than borrowing.

Houses aren't depreciating around here!

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah, where people meet to talk about stuff, some people will only want to talk about themselves.

lunatic fringe electronics

What do you pay in rent? My house cost $160k in 2000, (~20k sq. ft) I pay ~$4k in taxes, and have replaced the furnace, new roof, and paint here and there. ~$25k (I have a new metal roof on the barn too.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sure, I'd love to pay cash but that's optimistically six months wages for me. Something a little less, like an off-lease Cruze? Okay, only

2.5-3 months wages. Cars, homes, and education are the big categories where average costs have well outstripped the inflation-adjusted rate of wage growth. Also boats, but most sensible people in the middle class know better than to buy a boat.

Also electric vehicle tech is changing so rapidly that buying a 2017 plug-in hybrid in 5 years means you'll be driving the Commodore 64 and everyone else will have an iPad. The long-term reliability data looks pretty good so far but still that's also a somewhat open question.

Actually there's a small power boat nearby where it looks like the previous tenant left it as abandoned property. Wonder what the landlord wants for it. Superficially the hull looks to be in good shape along with the outboard. Even comes with a serviceable trailer! I'm thinkin' about buying a boat.

I could make more money but that likely means I'd be working 50 hours a week vs. the ~30 I do now. Not much time to fix boats or have relaxed "date nights" with the lady. Lots of trade-offs in life.

In SV there's nowhere to go but up! To the Moon, Alice!

Reply to
bitrex

I honestly wouldn't know what to do with 20k square feet. $150,000 definitely doesn't get you that kind of square footage in (non-hood) areas of Boston or Providence metro. Single-story 2 bed 1.5 bath homes are selling for 200, 300, figures like that.

Reply to
bitrex

The current list price for this home about 20 miles from me on Zillow is

2.2 million dollars:
Reply to
bitrex

True. But I find it easier to deal with their rationality than I do those that believe six impossible things before breakfast plus the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A fanatic (of any persuasion) is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Oop's 2k square feet, ~50'by 50' with a corner missing.

Wife, two kids, two cats and three dogs. I'm forever tripping over the 'dog-stacles'.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Why buy a boat when you can throw your money directly in the water?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com