Saturn V guidance CPU board

Well, the image, of whatever it is, is cute. Disney characters can be cute, and they don't even exist.

Pity, though. We need more geek girls.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

So what leads you to believe that?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Perhaps he means that she's grown up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Eh, she could lose the glasses and get a part on Big Bang Theory. I doubt she would get a double look as being anything other than a woman. I've seen some transgenders where well, there is no question. More power too her.

As it stands, the video was interesting. I had no idea anyone did surface mount back then, but looking at the board, I'm not sure what surface mount accomplished. The pitch doesn't look any tighter than DIPs. The lead inductance is probably higher than a dip since the leads fold around the package. That is, they gave the part some "spring", probably not to crack the ceramic.

In a lot of ways,IBM never got the credit it deserved for technological breakthroughs, or even their tech business other than "business machines." They either invented the hard drive or perfected it (depending on your source). [They are probably still cleaning up the ground water at the old San Jose plant.] IBM had some sort of satellite business, though it got sold off.

As it stands now, I haven't a clue how they make money today (services doesn't tell me much), but they managed to reinvent themselves.

Reply to
miso

Too many years ago I found myself in Huntsville pitching a product, and had a chance to look at the rocket museum. They have/had an Apollo capsule.

But getting back to the wiki on the LVDC, it probably didn't matter than the computer was slow. (2MHz and bit serial). I was at a MEMS lab where they were doing sensors for missiles. The line they used was "It is hard to shake a rocket." The bandwidth was only a few hundred Hz.

Reply to
miso

Thanks. I'm madly in love. I like smart women. The only problem is that women that are smart enough to qualify, are also smart enough to not have anything to do with me. Sigh... the story of my life.

Fran's other biz: Custom made at $500 to $800/ea.

I've also been there. One of my first real jobs was with a company called Foundation Garments. Among other things, they made corsets for men. The main market was the US military PX stores. The military was slowly downsizing in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Those wanting to stay in were expected to remain trim and fit, or at least look trim and fit. The corsets sold well. Look like Fran knows most of the men's tricks: Incidentally, I do more than just fix computers and design radios:

Nope. Notice that she has no Adams Apple or residual facial hair in her photos.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Well, heshe's being careful to maintain just the right angle with the camer a. Looks like a bald guy wearing a ridiculous Barbie-doll wig to me. They u ndergo some kind of operation on their vocal chords to change the pitch of their voice, but that, like everything else they have done, doesn't work.

You can keep them. As for the trans, I don't really care about hisher perso nal situation as much as the technical content of her vids, unimpressive as it is, she could be a three-eyed green Martian for all I care.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

"Jeff Liebermann = half wit "

** See:

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That sounds rather similar to to what Tek did for the 7854 sampling / real time scope. You could use it a a real time scope but thanks to some rather unusual techniques it could also do lots of interesting things with pseudo-random sampling of repetitive waveforms. It also did the ramp and a dual sample. The ramp told the scope where to place the sample in the display line and then it could do rather a lot of fancy (at the time) math with it.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That's a serious sewing machine she's got. I'd like one of those industrial Jukis.

They actually have an oil pan under the base so all the parts are bathed in oil during operation. Really popular in the schmatta trade.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, (s)he's had a real good job done, then. (S)he even SOUNDS like a woman! Had a voice box job done, I guess.

There's also Larry (Lynn) Conway, who was instrumental in the early days of VHDL synthesis with Carver Mead. Lynn looked a LOT better as a woman, too.

I guess we'll just have to settle for Tatiana van Vark, then, for geeky women. She's got to be the only person in the world who has the entire electronics suite of a Vulcan bomber in her living room!

My favorite, though, is the video of her playing with her inertial stable platform.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Well, I watched the whole thing. Right at the beginning, and in a few places, she momentarily displayed what might have been an adams apple. It was difficult to tell because of the high camera angle. The few times there was a side view, there was no obvious adams apple. I would say it's possible she was previously male, but I doubt it. Also, I have no idea what she was talking about or what point she was trying to make.

I also was watching around the front of her ears for signs of residual sideburns and above her lips for a moustache. I freeze framed a few images, zoomed in, but found nothing.

I made a recording and produced a spectral plot of sorts using Spectrum Lab. Her voice was about an octave higher than my voice copying her speech. I would say that her voice is female.

I then verified it using a real spectrogram program using PRAAT: I'm not very familiar with the program but was able to blunder my way through enough to see the difference in pitch between male and female voices. Again, I would say that she female.

I also used Spectrum Lab to look at the low frequency content of her voice as in a voice stress analyzer. A person telling the truth will have some energy between 8-9 Hz. If they're lying, it will climb to

11-12 Hz. However, I couldn't extract anything definitive from the heavily processed YouTube audio. Oh well.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I think those may be quite a bit smaller than DIPs.

I have a Honeywell Alert computer, from 1965, all ICs, all surface mount. I think it was originally designed for the X-15 project, but ended up in a number of other systems. It was built with "flat pack" type chips, made by TI. They were mounted on multilayer PC boards, chips on both sides, and all the circuitry buried. There are 6 boards, connected to a motherboard by flexible cables, so there are no connectors inside the CPU.

I also had something that may have been a program loader or diagnostic loader for the Minuteman project, that had similar flat-pack chips soldered to little gold pins on a board, and the other side had wirewrap wire "stitch bonded" ultrasonically to the other ends of the pins.

They pioneered a NUMBER of technologies back in the early 60's like bump bonding transistors and diodes to the ceramic substrates of the SLT modules in the 360. Later they advanced that technology to the IC's of the 370's MST technology. So, no hair-thin gold bonding wires for their ICs.

IBM for a long time had a couple magnetic storage labs working on higher performance disk drives. We got a whole lab (I think from Minnesota) delivered to Washington University. They filled all the hallways in the building with racks of stuff. A lot of it was IBM Series 1 minicomputers and racks of stuff built out of MST modules that just got scrapped. They kept the air bearing spindles and all the cleanroom stuff.

They still sell mainframes! Some people still want that stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

"Jeff Liebermann is a f****it and an asshole"

** Enough said.

Only a total retard wound miss the meaning.

Boy, oh boy - do YOU ever qualify.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I grew up in my fathers lingerie factory maintaining such sewing machines.

My guess(tm) her machine is a Juki DDL-555. It has an oil bath and pump but it's not intended for splash lubrication. Most of the bearing surfaces are bronze bushings which require copious amounts of oil to prevent wear. The oil is pumped though the various shafts and then drips down into the oil sump. The reason the casing is metal is not for strength but because most plastic parts will rapidly distort when sprayed with hot oil. This is largely what distinguished a home sewing machine from an industrial machine. The industrial machine needs to run for long periods without oiling while the home machine can survive nicely with erratic oilings.

As I vaguely recall, the Juki's major claims to fame are that it's moderately fast, rugged, and will work well with both flimsy material (nylon net) and heavy material (leather), both of which Fran is using. There are few attachments points for adding specialized attachments, making it a machine more suitable for custom work, than for production. I see them often in dry cleaners and alteration shops.

Duh... just found this: Yes, her's is a DDL-555.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I had met Shawn Haley back in the day when he was a guy. It was strictly a business meeting since we were doing a Hspice eval. Nice guy. Very bright. It was pretty obvious he did IC design back in the day and wasn't a code monkey. [Lots of people were peddling improved spice at the time.]

I never met the other brother, or they punked me since they are twins.

It was pretty much a shock when I read about his conversion after his death.

I really hope she didn't wait until her business days were over before doing the change, with the idea that nobody would buy software from a transgender. All I cared is if it worked, could we justify it, and would they support the product. Hspice won on all three.

Reply to
miso

About that time, TI's rule of thumb for selling digital systems was $1000 per flipflop. That was about half the price of a Chevrolet.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I guess you didn't see this.

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Uncle Benjy?

You're obviously very knowlegable about them.

Are all the DDL-555s made in Japan or are more recent ones made in China? If so, should the latter be avoided?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I thought the whole point was that the important thing was the technical content.

As someone who has been on the receiving end of unfair discrimination I would have thought you knew better

Reply to
David Eather