new Saturn PCB toolkit

This is a wonderful program. Looks like a few nice tweaks in this release.

No license, no email, no dongle.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

Nice. I've been using online calculators with a much more limited range of functions - mostly track resistance, temperature rise, etc. Normally I save the whole webpage and tweak it to get rid of all extraneous stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Pimpom

I've got a differential PECL pair on the bottom of my board, with five pickoffs to line receivers on the top, 1" apart, with two vias per pickoff. The capacitances load the line and drag down the impedance. Saturn calculates the via capacitances, and then I add the chip capacitances.

So I can model the transmission line segments in LT Spice, with the periodic capacitive loads, and look at the step response and timing all along the line. I might skinny-up the traces to account for the lumped loading, or futz the terminations, or something.

Saturn also calculates exotic transmission line impedances, like asymmetric stripline.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Does your board house always use the same flavour of FR-4? Different varieties range from at least 3.8 to 4.5, which can make a bit of a mess sometimes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We use several board houses, and we specify "FR4". We don't specify impedances, which is expensive. 3.8 to 4.5 is about 4.15 +-10%, which doesn't matter for digital stuff. The bigger issue is dielectric thickness tolerance.

Driver impedances and via capacitances are added variables on a trace, and we can't analyze all of that.

I routinely include TDR test traces and usually come in a little low, as low as 44ish for a 50 ohm trace. That's fine for digital stuff. If something is just 1/0, it's usually OK. If it's jitter sensitive, it needs more attention, especially for crosstalk, and slow edges on long runs.

Analog or < 100 ps on FR4: keep it short.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

I remember when the Xilinx Spartan 3 came out there were issues with the I/ Os and the solution promoted by Xilinx reps in c.a.FPGA was to do a full SI simulation and analysis of traces to prevent damage from over and under vo ltage. I don't know off the top of my head what voltage levels to expect f rom 44 ohm traces but I suspect you aren't terminating your digital traces anyway, so hard say without knowing trace topologies and driver details.

I remember the "old" days of 5 volt TTL circuits that had trouble working a t 25 MHz because of SI issues that few had insight into. I was barely an e ngineer at the time and had not even heard of SI. My next job was working on a 100 MFLOPS supercomputer. That machine had several system issues beca use the designers didn't understand how to maintain timing across a backpla ne much less between backplanes. Interesting transition.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C