Saturn V guidance CPU board

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet, it's a Saturn V guidance CPU board.

She x-rayed and reverse-engineered it.

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Well I like Fran more than that annoying EEVBLOG Aussie.

But don't you think that is some sort of clever prototyping system rather than a final product? I mean would the final product have unpopulated locations?

Reply to
miso

I believe her when she says it is a real part, it reminds me of the slightl y later IBM multilayer boards with ten pin micro-module hybrids. Plenty of those had gaps and unfilled spaces too. I once peeled the top off a micro-m odule, a thick-film hybrid with flip-chip transistors. Seem to recall just one bypass capacitor on the whole board. I think they were used extensively in the 360 series of computers right thru to hi-end memory selectronix typ ewriters until the 1970s.

Reply to
piglet

Neat, (Dang, I love geeky women.. I wish there were more, but don't tell my wife.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

"George Herold"

** While watching the vid, I was looking around the workshop for clues as to what her actual line of work might be.

The I spotted a small, AC supply transformer with a shiny copper band around it on the top shelf - such trannys are typically found in audio gear, like guitar amplifiers. Copper bands suppress the external magnetic field so hum does not invade sensitive parts of the circuitry.

Fran has a number of vids on U-Tube and it did not take long to find one that revealed her occupation - she hand builds "boutique" guitar effects pedals under the brand name of "Frantone".

Or at least she did. Seems after almost 20 year of that, Fran has moved on to another business activity recently.

More info that you will ever need is here:

BTW:

Hard to believe, but Fran is not a girl.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Tom Del Rosso schrieb:

Hello,

here is some more information:

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:46:04 +0200) it happened Uwe Hercksen wrote in :

So that thing navigated to the moon and back. And now, with all them giggle bytes they cannot even make it to LEO.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje schrieb:

Hello,

no, it did not. The Saturn V lifted the Command Module, the Service Module and the Lunar Module into an earth orbit and the last stage of the Saturn V made the injection to the moon. But only the Command Module and the Service Module made the trip to the moon and back. The navigation to the moon and back was mostly done by the Apollo Guidance Computer within the Command Module.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

She is awfully cute. I never understood the appeal of the women you see in magazine ads, spray-painted with makeup and looking like they are made of injection-moulded plastic.

But she's wrong about "most important circuit board in history." The first volume application of PC boards was in the proximity fuse, which changed the map of Europe.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I worked on two modules that were used in the S1B booster stage, when I was still a freshman at Tulane.

The tememetry system had a scanning ADC that sampled each input at something like 4 or 6 samples/second. There were some events that needed to be timed to milliseconds. One box that I worked on (I designed the test set, not the box itself) was the Time Correlation Unit. It receives a trigger and generates a precise linear ramp, which drove a telemetry ADC channel. The samples had enough information to interpolate the event time.

I still use the technique:

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There's an article somewhere on a group of US engineers that are reverse- engineering the Saturn V as a way of coming up with a US-made heavy launch vehicle.

According to that article, each Saturn V engine was basically a unique prototype. Each one was hand built, each one was slightly different, and each one was flogged into life by the efforts of a bunch of skilled technicians.

So seeing a board that is only partially populated is no surprise.

Here's the article. I haven't read it recently, so if it contradicts what I said above it's my memory that's at fault:

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

It's a hand held X-ray gun. He's using differnet 'Mouth pieces' to capture the image. ( the black thing on the table)

I was going to mention the fact she is holding the board while he is x-raying it. but it's not many expoures.

Martin Riddle

Back-scatter X-rays??? How does that work - especially to get focused images???

Reply to
Robert Baer

360's had discrete transistor and diode chips, and about 12 pins on the SLT modules. The circuitry was generally similar to DTL chips. 370's had low-level integrated circuits very similar to commercial ECL. The MST modules were the same size as SLT (1/2" square) but had, I think 16 pins.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Going into the corset business now. if s/he's a typical trans, we sure could use more of them.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Pity. There are so few genuine females in the electronics design business. There must be some biological basis for that.

Lots of programmers, scientists, things like that, just very few female electronics designers.

The best three PCB layout people that I've known were women.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

In the former Boston computer museum, besides the actual Apollo guidance computer, there was also a mockup, in which the visitor could try to operate the computer. I tried in the 1980's some sequences and it looked like using a preprogrammed TI-58 calculator (enter values into certain registers and hit RUN (R/S)).

But in reality, the Apollo flight was handled by ground based computers. The distance to the CSM/LEM was known by two way ranging (coherent transponder in the spacecraft) with an accuracy in the order of wavelength.

To get the real XYZ coordinates at least a third receiving station is needed (three way ranging) or some solutions can be discarded, as the orbits would be impossible due to orbital mechanics.

Reply to
upsidedown

She's a he.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not very sensitive to the transgendered community, Phil! A trans woman is a female.

Reply to
bitrex

And that turns you on?

Reply to