Safety is item number two.

On a sunny day (Wed, 13 Jan 2016 06:29:30 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Right, there are a lot of papers online, I remember reading about using RF or electrical signals to improve wound healing, this seems to be a recognized method, and I even managed to find the signal sequences, but not sure what the file was called etc. There has been extensive research into how to interface with electrodes to say neural pathways, materials used, and that is used in animal tests and also on humans say brain activation / stimulation and what not. Heart pacemakers, and now all sort of prosthetics also use electrical impulses? Have not really kept up. In a way his experiment with the tongue shows something, but is highly subjective, partly acted to.

I have some basic rule that I see myself doing over and over again: If I am working with _any_ electricity, DO NOT TOUCH GROUND PATH AT THE SAME TIME. So even in the kitchen when pushing a button on the microwave, that cuts in, NOT TO TOUCH THE TAP at the same time (ground). The microwave is properly grounded, and checked in my place, but still. The other test is if there actually _is_ a ground connection, touch any metal with the back of your hand (back so it does not / cannot grab on to it) and if you feel some tinkling, get a meter and check ground. Keep your hands dry, do not stand in the water at the same time, etc etc. That is all so engraved that I even do it like a reflex, all the time.

And I would not for the life of me violate that rule to demonstrate on youtube how it feels (if a fault is present). I have seen it happen on stage where some clueless person wired the mikes and amps live... BAD things happen, in this case the amp went on fire, nobody died.

High voltage 25 kV low current (some uA) is not so dangerous apart from the reflex response, that you would have to learn to control, at least in the old CRT days, But 10 kV or 100 kV at 100 A is a different beast and stay away from it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The latest I've seen is using electricity to kill bacteria in tissue.

"and in 24 hours killed almost all of a multi-drug resistant bacterium that is often present in difficult-to-treat infections."

"The WSU researchers for the first time demonstrated the electrochemical reaction produces hydrogen peroxide, an effective disinfectant, at the electrode surface."

Still in the early stages though.

Also some work on killing pathogens in food with electricity.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I gave my Metcals away in preference for the Weller XP2(?).

Reply to
krw

Yeah, but not with a soldering iron. Scorched mustache hair smells TERRIBLE. I presume. Works for hot-coffee-safety-check, though.

Reply to
whit3rd

You don't rub the iron on your face.

I've not seen one, but I like the idea of a soldering iron with an insulated barrel, so you don't burn wires that jump in the way. Melted/burning PVC sucks.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Jan 2016 10:13:21 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

So, spend part of the day putting it back together again. I think Japanese are good at Origami? I was wondering after several failed attempts if Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a response, or should be repeated...

I did find the repair manual online, but it shows taking it apart, you have to read it backwards to put it back together again to find you forgot that wire[1]. Anyways the camera is now happy again and took a selfie:

And flex PCB fits in 2 ways, both work, but not all functions...

Would not have bothered if it was not such a good camera, and it runs CHDK.

Parts from ebay of course.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is a Japanese word, you friggin idjiot. It is also a Japanese craft/artform.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno