Two transistors, same number, different sizes?

I have a 500W switched mode power supply and a pair of J13009 transistors have failed. I mistakenly thought a J13009 was a J13009. What arrived was TO220 instead of TO247. Can J13009 really have two different specs for the same model number? I can only find a datasheet for the TO220 I bought, not the original TO247 size. The power supply is only a couple of years old.

Should I fit them anyway?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Should be fine with heat sink.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Transistor part numbers can include information identifying diferently-packaged versions.

Marking on the body does not not require this info, as the physical difference is visibly apparent.

RL

Reply to
legg

Case code is extra letters after the general device part number, see

Junction to case thermal resistance is worse in the TO-220 pack.

When they fail they often take out chunks of the driving circuit too.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

I'll buy some bigger ones then. Although the original ones which failed due to the heatsink being loose may have already done that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey