Re: OT: electric car drama

Guess it didn't quite work the way it should have. I don't blame you

> for not wanting to go back into that shop. >

The funny thing is, I spoke with the head manager about it. She goes "oh well, you know, we have no authority as to what goes on in the parking lot. If people want to park there, it's not a crime. We don't have the authority to tell people what to do when it's outside the building."

So next time I double park in front of them, and the shift manager threatens me, I'll just say "Hey, your boss tells me you have no authority as to what goes on in the parking lot. You'll have to take it up with the PD."

IMO in a normal world, the management would be sticking up for me, not defending people parking against the rules and threatening me (the legitimate customer!) instead.

EV drivers are a community at the moment. If other drivers are made aware that not only are those spaces usually taken, but that the management of the business in front of them will also give you grief for wanting to use them for their intended purpose, they won't see a dime.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Clarify...

did you want to actually use the EV spot to charge your EV Vehicle?

or were you just unhappy that someone parked where they should not have?

Mark

Reply to
makolber

I wished to use it for its intended purpose, I have an electric car.

The same situation repeated today. I had the card of the head of maintenance for the plaza, so I called him up and asked if there was anything he could do.

He essentially told me to f*ck off. "I can't ask anyone to move. I'm way too busy to deal with this. Stop making trouble."

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

So it's a private parking lot owned by the shopping plaza?

The only thing the cops can enforce in such situations is violation of handicapped spaces... controlled by legislative fiat.

So, "Stop making trouble" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but you can't have it both ways. The point of installing the system is to drive business for the plaza for people with electric cars. But it's worthless if people who don't have electric vehicles park there day in and day out blocking access. Word gets around, and drivers will avoid that lot if that's the dynamic.

I don't expect the cops do do anything, but I do expect the management of the restaurant and the plaza to enforce their own rules. Not give me a huge attitude problem. Do you want my money or not? I'm not going to grovel for the privilege.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

New Englanders are all about getting up in other people's business and making trouble if they're being jerks. Our Puritan herritage runs deep.

Number one way to piss us off is lackadaisical, bungled ideas like this one.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

As I recall it, New Englanders, particularly around Boston, ARE jerks

...Jim Thompson

True! And the hilarious thing is, there's a Tesla dealership right down the street.

The staff and management is probably thinking "Whew, glad we got rid of that jerk (even though it's really the people unable to obey signs that are the jerks.)

But yeah, wait until those guys start showing up. I was just the first jerk...;)

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Business 101:

Install an EV charger in prime parking spots in a tight lot, and not spend a moment considering how human psychology factors in.

Bungle the rollout and have inadequate signage (nothing painted on the ground) regarding the use of the spots (this should all be done ahead of time, before you ever activate the machine.) Tell us that you'll "get it done eventually."

Then when your first customer shows up wanting to use your product for its intended purpose and give you money, and politely tells you that you're having an issue, really antagonize them. Tell them that you can't help them, it's not your problem, and essentially to get bent. Instruct the management of the coffee shop to always give the new customer grief, and defend and protect the customers who are not adhering to the guidelines.

Seems like a good plan to me lol

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

bitrex

You might try finding out who actually owns the chargers and talk to them. If they are often blocked preventing charging they obviously aren't going to make much money on them. Perhaps they will rethink their choice of location in the parking lot. That seems to be the real problem. People are people. If they see spots that are nearly always open and other spots are far away they are going to park there.

--

Rick
Reply to

And apparently they're not going to grovel for your money. :)

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

I talked to the maintenance contact about that, before he went hostile on me. He said essentially that the management considered it, but didn't want to take the time and expense to rip up the lot and run cable underground across it. So they took the path of least resistance.

Penny wise, and pound foolish.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Your local newspaper might well be interested in the story since it seems to me like the mall deserves some bad publicity for that attitude.

The owners of the chargers might also be interested to know that their installation is a waste of time since the spaces are always occupied by vehicles that cannot even be charged. In the UK the charge points in carparks tend to be located some way away from the prime locations (which are typically reserved for blue badge disabled parking).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Try to find out who the do gooder that had the idea to install the charger is. See if *he/she wants to do some more good, for you.

Mikek

*Probably not a he/she, but a he or a she.
Reply to
amdx

In a couple of years, I've seen a total of five Teslas here...

but when Safeway is busy, it's full of jeeps and SUVs and whatever.

Even people with electrics are using charging stations for free parking. That's causing problems.

lunatic fringe electronics

Keep in mind your original presumption- the thing was put there to bring in customers. If the spot is filled by a customer (EV or not) then it has fulfilled its calling.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I was searching for charging facilities and found a web site for that. I don't recall if they had user comments or reviews. I see plugshare.com which seems to have comments. I suggest you make relevant comments there. Heck, for that matter go on Yelp and post regarding the coffee shop. EV users are growing and seeds planted now will impact vendors for some time to come.

--

Rick
Reply to

The guy did tell me they were planning on painting the spots bright green. I'll hold my fire to a) see if that actually happens, and b) if it improves the situation.

Sadly, my guess is that it won't improve things much. The spots are just too convenient, and the staff in the store is apparently making a career of telling everyone that there are zero consequences for doing it.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

You are a pioneer. Expect problems. In ten years there may be enough electric vehicles that it will make economic sense to have charging stations. Does not appear to be the case now.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I'm actually wondering if theyre getting a tax break from the state to put this in or something. Perhaps there was never any intention that it could be regulary used - just do the bare minimum to get the credit and then f*ck off. I'd better check on that. If they actually have no interest in really making money with it aside from some tax writeoff, that would certainly explain the hostile attitude.

That type of doomed to fail project is right up this state's alley.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/