How to turn green PCBs from green to black

We have 92 PCBs that have been made for us and they used green solder mask. We need black.

The board is 233 x 353 mm. Each board has 216 SMD LEDs.

Unfortunately, we had a miscommunication with our supplier in there somewhere and we have no documentation to back up our verbal instructions. We have properly chastised ourselves for this oversight by probably eating the cost.

Any ideas?

TIA, JohnS

Reply to
John S

Glasses with red lenses?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Ask them how much to add a black solder mask on top along with the silkscreen again? I suppose your boards are already de-panelized? I don't know if they can easily handle separate boards rather than full panels.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Are they assembled?

Stick-on overlay? Mask and spray? Paint with tiny brushes?

PCB fab drawings have to be complete, or bad things happen. And there are really no standards for fab notes.

We say

  1. Solder mask, color BLUE

  1. Silkscreen parts side, color YELLOW

with those colors in a big font.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Stuff them and then spray Krylon #1602. Pity about the light transmission, but you can't have everything. ;)

Actually that might work if you peel the paint off the LEDs with sticky tape.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

dye? Not with salt of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

YES, I used black permanent marker But the peeseebee was only small..

D D would love it, job creation. Maybe you could put the pen in an xy plotter.

Provided the markers are not made in China that is.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Hmm if you could push the leds (on the pcb) down onto some 'release stuff' (Some sort of wax that comes off with water... I don't know.) Then paint with black Krylon, then release the 'wax' on top of the leds.

How much are you eating for each pcb?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Cook it at 200C for a few hours/days? :^)

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

Might be a good idea. Thanks.

Reply to
John S

Yes

I don't know. Can you elaborate on the processes for each?

I know. We have not yet learned what info was lost on this job.

Reply to
John S

$7000/92 or about $76 per board.

Reply to
John S

I have no idea how to do that. Thanks.

Reply to
John S

Got it! I'll get started on it now. Thanks!

Reply to
John S

torsdag den 9. august 2018 kl. 19.24.55 UTC+2 skrev John S:

can you show a picture of the board?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I don't know how. I can print a pdf of the board from eagle, but I don't think I can attach it to the message. I do not have an account with one of those image posting sites. Sorry.

Reply to
John S

you don't need and account on imgur (unless you want to delete it again), just drag and drop and copy the link

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If the boards are not assembled you could get use regular silk screen process to fix this. Depending on the size of the boards you may be able to do this in house or at a screening shop. I've had some success playing with the laser printed screens:

One of many suppliers:

If they are assembled then perhaps some sort of stamp? One with 216 holes...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

My regrets, John, for leaving out that crucial info. The boards are assembled.

Reply to
John S

Depending on how close the LEDs are together, can you perhaps get a piece of opaque vinyl produced, laser cut, that will fit over the LEDs?

If you want to post a picture with dimensions folks may have better suggestions...tape over any proprietary stuff of course!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson