Russian ?? Hackers Were Busy

Maybe I overlooked it but I didn't notice anything about this here.

Hackers have gotten into what sound like pretty sensitive areas. And Nine of history's surprise attacks.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, but amazingly, the US Elections were untouched. ?? Right....

I'm not saying Biden didn't win. What I'm saying is the election systems run by the States are nowhere near as secure as the public may think them to be. In this day and age, you would think that a voting system could be made 100% secure -- (i.e., absolutely fraud-proof and 100% accurate!) but of course there is no political will to make that happen.

Reply to
mpm

r as secure as the public may think them to be.

There's quite a lot attention paid to making them pretty secure, and absolu tely no evidence that the US election system was corrupted - Donald Trump d idn't like the result, but his legal team came up with absolutely nothing, and the judges that rejected the cases frequently said as much.

00% secure -- (i.e., absolutely fraud-proof and 100% accurate!) but of cour se there is no political will to make that happen.

There's a whole lot of political will to make it as easy as possible to tel l sore losers like Donald Trump to get lost.

Electoral fraud in the US is concentrated on making it difficult for people who are likely to vote vote against you to vote at all. The Republicans ar e a bit more enthusiastic about it than the Democrats, because it easier to set up bureaucratic barriers against people who don't have a lot of money, and can't afford expert advice.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Our side's gonna nuke 'em:

Reply to
bitrex

No, there's no way to verify any system of this type is "100% secure" unless you build all the hardware at the transistor level from scratch, build you own assembly language for that hardware, and write the software in that language.

Otherwise there's no way to be sure the compiler you're using doesn't insert a back-door into the software. Or that the compiler used to compile that compiler didn't insert a back-door into the compiler that then inserts a back-door into your software. Or...

Or that there aren't back-doors in the 3rd-party hardware you don't know about.

Reply to
bitrex

Talking about 100% fraud-proof and accurate software systems, fugedaboutit.

Reply to
bitrex

Of course there IS political will, and observers of both parties at the election, and an independent judiciary to hear a complaint. This election, though, has passed the scrutiny of observers (but not of armchair philosophers).

We've all seen discussion of the computers-and-security holes in various systems of the past, and the various states have solutions for those holes. Lots of states, lots of different solutions, but all subject to scrutiny, and not particularly open to networked shenanigans.

Reply to
whit3rd

75 million Americans don't want "free and fair elections" they want a strong-man-for-life who will do anything to smash the Left forever, kill 'em all, shoot 'em.
Reply to
bitrex

From the mouth of the buffoon who is currently president" "Nobody has been tougher on Russia than Donald J. Trump"...... nuf said.

Reply to
Three Jeeps

Right, the US has the highest number of prisoners per capita for a reason.

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Dec 2020 11:29:16 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd wrote in :

To be able to unify the people and to start a war, an enemy needs to be created. Russia .. China

Then everybody who is now without income can / must serve, drafted. Been that way as long as life exists.

Even ant-heaps fight each other, solders are sacrificed The inkjet ;-) or whatever printers that now put out the billions will wear out. the printed dollars cannot even buy the plain paper and ink anymore.

Beware of Biden Of where it goes.....

Days of future passed

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'd be more concerned about the potential for hackers to shut down the power grid like they did in Ukraine back in 2016 or so.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman