Rupert Murdoch, on Europeons

Rupert Murdoch, who is receiving the Atlantic Council of the United States? Distinguished Business Leader Award for 2008, says in his prepared remarks that, ?We must face up to a painful truth: Europe no longer has either the political will or social culture to support military engagements in defense of itself and its allies."

[snip]

?Around the world, there is no shortage of nations who share our values, and are willing to defend them. I am thinking of countries like Australia, which sent troops to Iraq ? Israel, which has been fighting Islamic terrorism almost since its founding ? and Japan, which generally follows a more ?Western? policy than most of Western Europe.?

[Snickers from the audience :-]

...Jim Thompson