Rigol DS1054Z

Anyone had any experience with a Rigol DS1054Z or 74Z? The advertising claims 12 million memory points, which is attractive, unless they mean 12 million memory bits.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

That's what it looks like, 12 Million Data points.

That should be more than enough for that level of scope.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Not to mention that 1054Z can be easily upgraded into 1104Z with a simple, SN-dependent, code. 1054, 1074 and 1104 are exactly the same hardware inside. And then it is 24M, not 12.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Piotr - good to have that information. Any idea what the cost of the option is?

Hul

Piotr Wyderski wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

If you do it yourself, the cost is zero.

If all you want is 24M, then the code is DSAE, but you probably want to use the undocumented one, DSER, which enables everything except of the 500uV mode, which doesn't work anyway. BTW, do it via telnet, not using the crazy virtual on-screen keyboard.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

telnet scope 5555

Copy/paste:

SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall YOUR_CODE

Back to the factory settings:

:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall

What you *really* want to do is to check three times whether the SN of your unit has been copied correctly into the applet, otherwise you can brick the device. Not permanently, there is that 12 hour penalty, but if you can easily avoid it...

A lot of people claim that it is a well-designed marketing strategy of Rigol -- they could have blocked such updates easily, but instead they have been using the same super-weak option generation algorithm and the "private" key for years. No educational facility or a lab would do that, but the hackers can still be happy. :-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Hi Piotr, I've got a 1052E, I know there's a hack for the bandwidth. Is there one for the FFT memory depth too? (And does it make the FFT any better? There's all this HF "stuff" from the 'scope (I think).)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I have no idea, George. All I have is 1054, upgraded to 1104. I have done it mostly out of pure curiosity, as the signals I play with are in the 300kHz range, so there is no difference if the machine is 50 or 100MHz and there was no need to use the advanced triggers.

Well, I presume that wider bandwidth implies less distorsion of the upper FFT components, so it should be better.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Piotr - the option price is attractive. Thanks again.

Hul

Piotr Wyderski wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus