RFI-> need to detect if loudspeaker is working in an environmental chamber (can't hear it in there!)

Hi all,

I'm performing some high temperature testing in an environmental chamber on some speakers. The chamber must remain closed during the duration of the test, so I won't be able to hear if the speakers are working.

I want to be able to recognize if the speakers have failed (open circuit). I'm supplying the speakers an output from an amplifier that is fed with pink noise signal.

Ideally, I'd like to make a circuit that would sense an open load, or measure the speaker deflection using an accelerometer.

I don't need to monitor quality, just operation, or more precisely, malfunction.

Any ideas?

Reply to
MRS

Any reason you couldn't put a microphone in there?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The Journey is the reward"

ww.trexon.com

ff.com- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply,

well, that would be too easy!! in fact, one of the engineers here suggested that earlier this morning.. ;)

Ideally, since all the thermocouples would be connected to a data acq card, I was hoping to either include automated sensing or some type of visual recognition of failure.

We are testing two speakers at one time, and I guess if I had to, the mic could be mounted right at the transducer.

hmmm....

Reply to
MRS

Switch them on the outside. IOW use one speaker as a microphone once in a while, then the other, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That seems to me to be the simple, elegant solution: monitor one speaker with the other. If you find you're not getting output from your "microphone" speaker, one of the speakers has failed.

--
John English
Reply to

Hello,

When it is an amplifier with a ground return, you may put a small resistor in series as a current sensor. Now you can calculate the impedance based on current and driving voltage (at room temperature). During the "heat" test you can do the same. When you get different readings (for example over 100 ... 10 kHz), it is likely that your speaker has been damaged.

Best regards,

Wim PA3DJS

Wimpie

:Hi all, : :I'm performing some high temperature testing in an environmental :chamber on some speakers. The chamber must remain closed during the :duration of the test, so I won't be able to hear if the speakers are :working. : :I want to be able to recognize if the speakers have failed (open :circuit). I'm supplying the speakers an output from an amplifier that :is fed with pink noise signal. : :Ideally, I'd like to make a circuit that would sense an open load, or :measure the speaker deflection using an accelerometer. : :I don't need to monitor quality, just operation, or more precisely, :malfunction. : : : :Any ideas?

Unless the speakers you are proposing to use are specifically designed to operate in a high temperature environent then you could get an extremely distorted response from the unit under test WITHOUT the voice coil actually going open circuit. It would therefore be wise to monitor the audio quality so use of a microphone would be mandatory.

The combination of the different materials and the construction must all be designed to resist high temperatures while still operating in an undistorted fashion and continuing to give a long life. Failure of either the voice coil suspension or adhesive or the diaphragm suspension could mean the speaker is virtually useless without the voice coil going open circuit. I doubt you will find all of these characteristics in off-the-shelf speakers designed for the domestic environment.

High temp speakers are not common, but one company does make a 6" unit which it claims will operate in close proximity to vehicle exhaust systems.

Ross Herbert

Depending on amplitude:

----+------[R]-------+------+ | | | +-[D1]-[R]-[LED]-+ [Speaker] | ----------------------------+

Or instead of D1, 2 leds antiparallel

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

:

y so

ed

il

is

ill

he

ch it

They are outdoor speakers, so yes, they need to work at high temp - there is a Mil spec that covers this up to 49C at a specified RH

The test isn't to verify that the speakers work, we know they work, it's the protection circuit that needs to be tested.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
MRS