RF: Working a smith chart without a compass?

With the smaller SMD components, and the packages that Production ICs are coming in, that's less of a required skill.

It's still possible. But with more equipment than the old hand irons.

For most people.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Hello Robert,

I do just fine with an LR-20, an ETS tip in there and easy on the coffee. Plus #3 magnifier glasses and occasionally a loupe. I would never hire any EE who couldn't swap a couple SOT23 devices in a jiffy. They'd never be able to debug a design in due time.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It wouldn't work. Yoy would just drink it anyway.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I used to drive a 1973 Chevy step van with a Union City body. If I rear ended you in that, your Q45 would have been turned into little more than a rather ugly hood ornament. It was hit in my driveway by a drunk driver one night. She ran off the road on the other side and then she shot back across the road. She hit my car and slammed it into the stepvan. Both cars were totaled, but there was under $200 worth of damaged parts to the front of my service truck. The bumper was crooked, and a piece of the front right quarter panel and headlight mount were damaged. The bumper was easy to fix. I put a heavy duty jack under the bumper and lifted the truck off the ground, then climbed into the truck. I jumped a couple times till the truck dropped a couple inches to find that it was properly aligned. The body work only took about two hours, including new paint. Maybe you luck will be better, next time, oh Great ape.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

SOT23s I can handle. Some of the multipin packages I don't want to try without a hot air gun.

With perhaps an IR preheater.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Get two strips of heavy, stiff mylar or acetate film, with a hole in the end of each one, and hold them together with a paper clip at whatever spacing you need. You'll need 2 pens or pencils (or one pen or pencil, and a stylus of some kind, but see #1), and a ruler to set your little compass.

Why not just bring along a good book?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There's a trick to that:

1) Look in front of the car. 2) If there's something there, don't go there.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's plastic. Carry it in your pocket. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Will they let you go up to the cockpit and use the compass on the instrument panel?

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Use a sharpened piece of delrin rod: (watch wrap)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Folks,

Ken had suggested a plastic compass. I lucked out and caught an earlier flight. So, when I arrived a Walmart was still open and I found a plastic compass. It set me back a whopping 97 cents plus tax. Takes a regular round pencil. They even had them in various colors, some of them really gross.

On the way back security didn't mind that compass so I probably won't have to spring the 97 cents again ;-)

Thanks to all.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg