Re: Smith Chart Amusements

See...

> >Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic >Subject: Smith Chart Amusements - SmithChartDoodles.JPG >Message-ID: > >I'm trying to remember from 40+ years back, when I last used a Smith >Chart... what do the circular patterns mean? > >I suspect that they are perhaps due to a distributed R-L-C network?

Loops like that indicate that the device input (or output) phase has gone through 360 degrees. Such loops on a Smith Chart are present if there are unwanted resonances and/or positive feedback in the circuit or if the device is NOT unconditionally stable at all input impedances.

You didn't specify what device you were testing or how the Smith Chart was produced. My guess(tm) is that it's some kind of active device doing a fine job trying to oscillate by ringing merrily every time the frequency sweep crosses one of the resonances or instability points. Wave your hand over the circuit and see if the loops move around. If they do, you've got problems.

Gripe: I don't like guessing the missing details (because I'm lazy):

  1. Whatcha trying to accomplish?
  2. Whatcha got to work with? (Circuit, hardware, test equip, etc).
  3. What did you do to make that mess happen?
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There used to be a good book free online from A.A.R. TOWNSEND "THE SMITH CHART AND ITS APPLICATIONS". The book is'nt online anymore but I still have it. If you want I can upload it to the location of your choice.The book compressed is 7Mb with winRAR.I found it pretty useful when we took impeadance matching and transmission lines in school came in handy when I did an LNA to. The Rfcafe also has some good stuff including a free tool in Excel for smithcharts.Get it here.

Hammy

I posted the table of contents in abse in your thread up there if anyone else is intrested.

Reply to
Hammy

Dear Hammy Can you please send me this book I can't find it online anymore

Reply to
eng.ahmedhussein5

Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

-- john, KE5FX