RF Tuner and demodulator chip/chips

Hi,

I previously posted a thread about "CRT Deflection circuits", and mentioned that I was just learning how to generate VGA signals for a project. Well, the project that I'm working on is an FPGA-based device which will allow me to view television on a VGA monitor. It will use an external ADC and DAC, as well as an external tuner/demodulater. I can't do demodulation digitally because my FPGA only runs at 50MHz. It's strictly an academic project, I don't intend to sell this. There are already such devices on the market for less than $50, but I'm just using this as a learning project.

While I'm learning about composite video (Y, U and V etc), I want to get started on the tuner and demodulater. In theory, I could build a superheterodyne receiver from very low level components, but I don't want to do that. At least not at this stage. I'm looking for a chip or chips (single-chip would be great!) which can take an RF input (VSB from antenna/CATV) and give me a baseband output (component video). I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the audio yet.

I've seen some other posts recommend the Motorola MC1330 as a demodulater. Does anyone have a recommendation for the complete package? I don't need any high definition capability, but if I can get a single-chip tuner/demodulater that is only offered with HD capability, I'm willing to pay for it. It's just a one-off project, after all. My main goal is minimizing discrete components.

In the mean time, I'm just going to use either an old VCR, a CATV converter box (very old), or a newer car-tv tuner (ie Clarion TTX001). However, this will only be temporary. I want the final project to be small, and probably all on one board (if I get ambitious enough to surface mount a Spartan II).

Reply to
sp_mclaugh

Bump... Just as an example, Athena's ATS7000 chip is a combined tuner and demodulater that doesn't even *have* an analog IF. It's 100% digital. I haven't been able to find much useful information about it though. I might want to use something a bit more conventional.

Reply to
sp_mclaugh