reusable electronics parts????

Well, eh....

???

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Uses glue instead of solder. Clever idea. It should sell well in industries that profit from planned obsolescence. Instead of using hot water to soften the glue, formulate the glue to become brittle and crumble after XX months of exposure to atmospheric oxygen. After the warranty has safely expired, the components will be found neatly piled on the bottom of the case under a mound of crumbly glue dust.

I predict that Apple will be one of the first to use the technology in their continuing effort to produce products that are difficult repair, difficult to recycle, and have a short and entertaining lifetime.

One headache with the idea is identifying and sorting out SMD parts with obscure labels. Not my idea of fun. If the boards are built by robots, perhaps they could also have the components removed and recycled by robots?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

OH COOL! A circuit board that falls apart when you get it wet!

I'm so enthused.

-- My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook. My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook. Why am I not happy that they have found common ground?

Tim Wescott

So now they just need a way of gathering up the components and reattaching them in strips so that the board populating machine can reuse them, all this at a lower cost then just buying new ones.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yeah! if you do not like what you bought, just piss on it!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Also works if I do not like what you bought.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:41:32 -0800) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

European Union has now started an incentive to requirie replacable batteries in stuff like that.

Or sorting SMD resistors and caps with no marking at all? Does not seem a real world solution to me, and I would NEVER use a used chip in a new circuit unless I tested it 100% myself.

Indeed. I think this sort of 'inventions' is a waste of money... Imagine your TV falling apart in high humidity... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Indalloy 42, melting point 96°C (contains lead)

OTOh you can melt ordinary solder using hot water in an autoclave.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

stuff like that.

You mean just replacable or _user_ replacable? Big difference. I think batteries in the Apple products can be replaced, it's just not easy for users to do so. Since they're no longer "cool" by that point, it's even less likely it will happen. Maybe they can legislate that they should remain "cool" for at least 5 years.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:00:14 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

in stuff like that.

user replacable.

google has more

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

in stuff like that.

Mandate that the OEM has to supply replacement batteries for free for the life of the product.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who defines what the "life of the product" is?

Kind of like those buffets.. "sorry that's all you can eat for $14.99".

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I read a proposal somewhere to require warranties on battery life in an effort to reduce battery consumption by extending their useful life. It's much like the Toyota Prius battery is only discharged about 20% in order to insure that it lasts 10 years or 150,000 miles (in California). If the battery charge controllers were set to NOT charge the LiIon batteries to something less than 100%, and not allowed to discharge below about 70%, the batteries would last long enough to satisfy even the EU micromanagers. I have some older cell phones, where I've managed to hack the charge controller settings, that have seem to have endless battery life. Some hints on LiIon battery life:

However, simply making the battery user replaceable isn't going to solve the eWaste or reparability problem. These daze, I do mostly repair work and no design. (Yeah, I know... what am I doing in this newsgroup. Ask me some other time). In order to keep something electronic alive, there are some basic requirements. Schematics, voltages and waveforms, easy of disassembly, screws instead of snap together, no yellow (acrylic) glue use, availability replacement parts, test software, revision history, etc. All of these are seriously lacking with todays designs and becoming worse.

Methinks a step in the right direction would be to require a lifetime warranty for any product that the manufacturer intentionally designs in obstacles to product repair. Exotic pentalobe screw heads, glued in components, self destruct packaging, etc. If they want to pretend that they're selling a lifestyle instead of a product, they can deal with the consequences.

Incidentally, Apple was not the first device with difficult to replace batteries. The later Palm and Sony Clie PDA's all had internal batteries. The Palm V required a heat gun to melt the glue used to hold it together.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

66.3% In 33.7% Bi melts at 72C and contains no lead. There are many other compositions with low melting points. See table 1 at:

I use a hot air SMT desoldering machine for rework, and a modified toaster oven for reflow soldering. Hot water is for making tea or hot chocolate.

If I want to scrap a PCB, I clamp one end of the PCB in a bench vise. I heat the board with a propane torch, bend the PCB back, and release when the solder is melted. Components and solder go flying and are caught in a cardboard box. However, that's the easy part. Identifying, sorting, and storing the parts are another story.

What the industry needs is flexible solder, so that the large BGA chips in laptops can survive mechanical and thermal PCB flexing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

My Lenovo Thinkpad has a charger setting for extended battery life. ...Jim Thompson

Specify it in the design & sales literature.

Do you know anyone who was told to stop eating at a buffet? Most people eat no where near enough to use all of the price they paid. Some like big eaters, it draws a crowd. We used to have pizza eating contests at a buffet. Most people had a couple slices. The big eaters would eat a whole pizza, or a little more. It still averaged out to about four slices per.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know of people who have been told they're not welcome back. You get four beefy guys that habitually just have water to drink and fill up on the expensive stuff..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sorry, but I've never seen that happen. Or much 'expensive' food at a buffet. Mostly vegetable & pasta dishes, and lots of sweets.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

think

easy

point, it's

they

free for

Some

eaters

When i was much younger, i used to go for the meats like crazy, not eating much else. Just the same i was never made unwelcome. I have a workmate that is even worse, always pigs out major at buffets.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk