resistance "standard"

Hi gang, OK, here's the missing criteria for my "standards":

  • costs less than 50$ cdn before shipping, used or new...

The idea is that anything with any accuracy at all is going to be so much beyond what I need that I won't waste time speccing them electrically. However, I do need to buy them, and 50$ is an amount I comfortable with.

For resistance, I think a 1K resistor will do nicely and cover calibrating any DMM or d'Arsonval meter thingy.

A Vishay (who else?) Y14531K00000T9L 1K00 0.01% 0.2ppm/C is going to be very good and costs 20$ new!

My question is, do I put this guy in a box with 4 banana plugs for force/sense connection?

Makes sense? Do I crimp or solder to the leads? I'd connect them directly to panel mount banana plugs and there you go.

Thoughts?

TIA!!!

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Attach it to a Pomona dual banana plug, either the solder types or the screw-in kind.

Note that it's specified at 0.5" lead length, which is sort of weird for a PC mount part. Classic axial wirewounds were measured with 3/8" leads.

I have a few old L&N standard resistors, ebay mostly, that we've checked against our best DVMs when they are new, or just come back from the cal lab. They all seem to be mighty good.

John

I strongly recommend a 4 terminal connection at the specified distance for the sense leads. JL is ok but just does not "get" the standards lab viewpoint.

Reply to
JosephKK