Replying by email

Actually comp.os.msdos.djgpp and comp.lang.python are usenet groups and email lists. I don't know how that is done.

Reply to
Wanderer<dont

Can someone (preferably the list owner) please clarify whether it is possible to reply by email to posts? My attempts to reply, either to snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com or to 'list', using Thunderbird, fail. There are so many responses in this thread (which is good) that I find it overwhelming and disruptive of other work, to keep replying via the web.

Reply to
John Woodgate

This is a USENET

group, there is no "list owner". Further, unless you can find a still working mail to news gateway, the short answer to your question is: no.

Won't work, because this is a USENET group, not a google group, and evil google simply very poorly shoehorned USENET into google groups and left it at that. Which is why google groups is simply the absolute worst interface with which to read and respond to USENET postings.

Since you indicate you are using Thunderbird, which includes a built in ability to access NNTP groups (i.e., USENET) why don't you just register yourself an Eternal September account

and connect Thunderbird to USENET via the Eternal September account and natively read/reply in Thunderbird (plus you'll gain a superior interface, including kill files to auto-delete the troll posts and numerous off topic posts created by the Fred Bloggs troll on a regular basis).

Reply to
Bertrand Sindri

If you get at the group from Eternal September via Thunderbird the e-mail option works. I only use it when I'm sorting out threading, and have been known to send an e-mail when I meant to post something to the group.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Hi John - here's a response via Thunderbird and Eternal September.

Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Bill Sloman

reply to sender only option

Reply to
TTman

Access it via Eternal September (free) and a mail/usenet client. I used to use AIOE (also free) until it went belly up.

Reply to
Martin Brown

This is Usenet, not google groups (and much older), nor a mail list. It uses the nntp protocol. Thunderbird supports it just fine.

Carlos E.R.