OT? Thoughts on an announcement

I've noticed that, when you go to google groups cold, and start looking for electronics, .design shows up on the groups list before .basics. So people, not knowing the difference, click on the first link they see, and here ya go!

So, what would happen if, once a day, or once a week, somebody posted something like this:

---------------------------------------------------------------- [Subject:]!!!!!ATTENTION GOOGLEGROUPS VISITORS!!!!! Welcome to the USENET newsgroup, news:sci.electronics.design.

This is not a chatroom.

This is a worldwide discussion group: please see

for an overview of USENET.

While visiting by way of Google's web interface to our newsgroup, it is appreciated if you follow certain posting conventions:

1.) Do not post willy-nilly - first, learn to use the search facilities of Google - in 99.9% of cases your question has already been anwered. 2.) If you have a basic electronics question, please first visit news:sci.electronics.basics - Again, you question has probably already been answered. 3.) If you choose to reply to a post, do NOT click the "reply" link at the bottom of the post - scroll up to the top of the post and click the "show options" link, which will open an options window. In this window, there is a different "reply" link - use that one: it quotes context. 3a.) When quoting context, snip judiciously to keep to the topic and avoid unnecessary scrolling on the part of your audience. (two or three previous posts back is generally enough to recover context.) 4.) Post your reply at the _bottom_ of the text block to which you are replying: this preserves the natural flow of the thread. This may seem irrelevant to you, given Google's handy web interface, but it's required if you want real replies from real USENET experts. 5.) It's also recommded to read:
*****ad.html And so on.

Thank you for your courteous attention to these matters.

Signed, The Net Cops

------------------------------

So, what d'ye think?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Military Intelligence?

Microsoft Works?

(c;

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

It's not? Awww...

This link would be nice if its sub-links actually worked.

Uhh... yeah.

So much for the Dreaded Libertarianist Plainclothes Hippie... ;)

Reply to
mrdarrett

Out of date. (They fixed it.)

Reply to
JeffM

Oh, well, it was just a thought.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'M THE FUCKING IDIOT WHO TRIED TO GUY MACON GOOGLE GROUPS.

A proper suggestion, that they will totally ignore, is to warn their users that the system does not guarantee them anonimity.

'Ooooooh, I know..... I will use Google from my company/university computer and they will never know...'

'See, I'm dead clev. I post wiv my gmail account as well'

DNA

Reply to
Genome