remember this? nukes deflect asteroids

OK, cool, you've convinced me.

So, now, how do we get the administration to stop throwing away trillions of dollars trying to conquer Iraq and Afghanistan et al, and spend it on anti-asteroid weapons^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdefenses? That'd be a damn good excuse for some proper space science! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Smaller, but still catasctophic = worse.

Smaller still, so they burn up in the atmosphere = better

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Guy Macon wrote in news:VJednTHSuYqiwSbbRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

smaller objects lose their KE quicker,too. Shotgun pellets are only effective for a short range,compared to heavier bullets. And the dispersion means that many pellets never hit the target. smaller fragments of a VL asteroid may only graze the atmosphere and not actually hit the planet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

This sounds like a long term project. First you have to persuade them that the earth isn't flat, then that it isn't the centre of the universe ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Will you ever stop being a total retard?

I hope the hell that the next time the terrorist bastards pull some shit over here, that you end up as one of their victims.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Shut your bleeding piehole. You'll be lucky to ever reach the height of being a retard, you 'two neuron' loser. Worms are smarter than you, along with piles of rotting crap. The only thing you are smarter than is an Amoebae.

Your biggest fear is that someone will flush the toilet while you're getting a drink, and you drown.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why do you hate America and wish for terrorist attacks to kill folk who disagree with you on Usenet?

Reply to
Brandon D Cartwright

Of course, one of the problems with the shotgun or broken stone hit, is you can get something like the Tusunga (sp?) blast. No crater, but all that energy is applied directly to the atmosphere. If big enough, it could be pretty bad...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Charlie Edmondson wrote in news:46bc92b8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.cadence.com:

Tunguska. That could have been an ICE meteorite. Thus,no pieces to be discovered later,as was the case at Tunguska.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Alas, it also brings a cyclic delta v issue. Think about it.

Reply to
JosephKK

Alas? Having a 20kmph velocity in the plane of the solar system, available to point in any direction within a hour or two, doesn't sould like a liability.

John

I thought I'd heard that nukes in orbit are banned by some treaty or something.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, I'd never read the book, but your posting got me interested, so I googled a bit. I found this page from a true fan of Heinlein's "Starship Troopers":

Interestingly, after skimming over the (pretty long) page I came to the conclusion that I liked the movie for exactly the reasons why the author disliked it, and from his praise for the book (and his reasoning) I concluded that the book must be a pile of crap. Of course I share his conviction that the movie is not (and isn't even trying to be) a faithful rendition of the book.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Sorry, my apologies. I thought maybe you were a science fiction fan, but that evidently isn't the case...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson