Relocating - need advice

It's > 100 miles, and there's bound to be traffic somewhere.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I went to Scottsdale yesterday, 70 miles round-trip, average speed

85MPH, in heavy traffic ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I average under 25 mph commuting to work... it takes me almost 10 minutes.

John

In the UK these days if I can average 40mph over a 100 mile journey it's a brilliant one. On mixed roads it will be more like 33mph overall... slower now than 20 years ago.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

My "commute" is about 15 seconds, walking from bedroom to office ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hmm, Mapmaker says 88mi from SanDiego to the Orange Co. Airport. I thought Palm springs (SAN to PS = 134Mi) was further east than it is.

If I can't average at least 60mph I'm PO'd. My family lives 1100miles from here and I'd grow old driving the trip averaging only 40mph. I'm glad the days of the double-nickel are long gone.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I usually don't do breakfast until 9:30-10:00AM

...Jim Thompson

Rand McNally (.com) says 102 miles and 1 hour 40 minutes from G*y's stated address in Buena Park (as was on his erstwhile website) to Front and Broadway in SD (1 mile off I-5 at Front). I used to live really close (maybe 10 minutes, practically nextdoor neighbors) to the starting point, and an hour and a quarter to half from G*y's address (in the middle of the day or evening) would be my guess.

From Google Earth and my giant Thomas Guide, it looks like the structure at that address backs onto a noise barrier with a freeway off-ramp right behind that (from the westbound Artesia Fwy 91 to Valley View St.). Hmmm... it's got some rather nasty Feng Shui with the orientation re Oriole.

Lots of people around here drive 130-140 (80mph+) when possible, but traffic conditions are so congested (and there are so many construction delays) these days it's hard to average really high speeds except with luck and at off hours (or out of the 3E6-5E6 metro area). Twenty years ago, rush hours in Toronto were more predictable-- now jams seem to happen at all hours. LA has been like that for decades. I guess gas isn't really that expensive (yet).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

It shows how different the enviroment can be. The same journey for me, takes the best part of an hour. Funnily enough it is 'jam' that gets in the way.... :-)

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

I'll trust you that you know Gay's abode. Nothing more need be said. ;-)

Ok...

Toronto (though I enjoyed the wee we spendt there on our 25th) is one of the reasons we don't cross through Canuckistan on our way home (the others being Detroit and customs, but...).

(yet).

...and the choisce is? These fruits, in the land of nuts, live a hundred miles from where they work! No thanks! I live far enough form work (~five miles). ...though I would like to live a *lot* further away.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Yes, but you too average far less than 25 mph.

I average >30mph (five miles in less than ten minutes). ...though that doesn't count toothbrush time.

--
  Keith
Reply to

ROTFLMAO

On my last job, it took about as long to walk across the parking lot, from my usual parking spot at work to the building, and through the building to my desk or lab area, as it did to drive from home to work. But that's how it goes when you are in South Dakota and live 3 miles from work.

Then I became part of another massive company downsizing, and now I have no commute.

Reply to
Carl D. Smith

I live in VT and have ~5mi commute, half highway. Apparently our parking lot is smaller and I work in the closest building to it. ;-)

Oh, not good! ...then again, I've done my time.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Try New Mexico instead.

Besides the obvious hassles at customs and the language barrier, the only real drawback is that their truck tires are a different diameter and spacing, so evrything needs reloaded at the border crossings.

More at

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics   3860 West First Street  Box 809  Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: don@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster