Relocating - need advice

Analytical chemistry is now so good they can detect just a few molecules per ml of some stuff. So naturally if they analyze anything they can find a little something of everything.

John

Yup.

JeffM

San Diego water has a bit too much radium 228 at 0.73 to

1.44picocuries/L but only 1 water sample was found to have E.coli in 2004 but most pollutants seem to be well below the Maximum Contaminant Level

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Lemme see, at the time I must have been earning $75/month, so you tell me:-)

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Right- that whole state is in a nose dive.

California has been poisoning the Colorado river for years with agro-chemicals and other contaminants like heavy metals pumped from ever increasing depths to triple crop areas nearly depleted of top soil. The sheer magnitude of density automotive exhaust relative to residential areas puts them over the top of any other state.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

notice

A case of good intentions gone bad. The idea was to inform the public of dnagers in the workplace or businesses one might enter. However, all businesses became overly wary, and anything remotely considered hazardous (Is that wood painted? Do we use bathroom cleanser?) became a trigger for the (now worthless) warning signs.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yep- I wasn't so poor I couldn't buy a Harley 1200cc FCXH or something, it was the touring bike stripped of the heavy fenders to 550lbs, kick start, sport seat, and 3.5 gal tank. It wouldn't get more than 20-25 mpg at 80-100MPH which was about the average speed for crossing the high desert.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I was not poor and unhappy- had everything I needed. Now I was poor and unhappy in NYC at one time for awhile and I do NOT dislike that place.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Wow - I didn't expect a response from anyone so soon - thank you all very much it is very helpful. Some of the ideas of where to find information in particular :-)

Best Regards to aLL.

Reply to
AntiriadElectronics

Boston isn't expensive?

Crowded?

Armpit of the nation ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but they do have

Boston Cream Pie

Dunkin Donuts

Fried Clam Rolls

The Duck Tour.

John

Don't forget Legal Seafood, kite flying on storrow drive, the commons, the MIT libraries, and cambridge bookstores. Oh, and the July 4th celebration on the Charles... Actually, I'm kinda fond of Boston. It was a great place to live. Sadly, the weather is horrible, the drivers are insane, and all the relatives are on the 'left' coast...

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has
so much as to be out of danger?
                                  Thomas Henry Huxley, 1877
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Yeah, last time I was there I had a lobster bisque at Legal that was so good, I should have cancelled the rest of the meal and just ordered four more.

John

Boston: Great restaurants, Legal Seafood is one of my favorites but, indeed, insane drivers, and the snottiest people on the face of the earth, at least in the city proper.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

We didn't. My parents, mother in particular, were all in a snit because we got married. So we didn't speak again until after the first granddaughter was born.

N worked at Honeywell, Raytheon and EG&G.

We're at 45 years and still going strong!

...Jim Thompson

A scrod is a young codfish. Also the punchline of a dirty joke.

Much better than Krispy Kreem, in my opinion. They make a decent latte, but you have to convince them that you actually want it hot.

They drive you around Old Boston then drive full-tilt into the Charles River. It was fun.

John

I got a job as a technician for the EE dept when I started school (6/70), connections and all that. I was paid $.20 less than minimum, until they found that that was illegal, even for a state school. I then got a raise to $1.60/hr. After I soon got to $.25 above minimum and graduated at the grand sum of $2.25/hr. ..for 20hrs per week (max when classes were in session). I was offered more by other departments (and loaned out to some), but thought the experience in the EE department, and sticking to one gun, was better. After I graduated, my hiring manager thought so too. ;-)

We had a lot of help from the parents. My mother held the paper on our "mobile home" and the wife came home with a car-load of groceries from her parents. S dropped out of school (Fine Arts at UIUC) to work in a nursing home cleaning butts, to make a buck to pay the bills. SHe moved up to making salads in a resteraunt, then to playing games (entertainment director) with the old-folks in another nursing home.

We're still together after 34 years. ...best friends, though we're individual enough to have fun in our own circles too.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Typical response when asking driving directions in Boston: "You can't get there from here..."

They also generally take those 'one way' signs as purely advisory in nature.

Oh, I forgot to mention 'jimmies', iced coffee, mixins, and grinders...

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has
so much as to be out of danger?
                                  Thomas Henry Huxley, 1877
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Absolutely! People are so scared of "germs" that hotels use the nastiest crap to try to kill them, polluting the air in the proceess. We stayed at a place last spring, visiting my mother, that was *terrible*. We asked that they not clean so well while we were there.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Is.

Is.

"Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there!"

--
  Keith
Reply to