Regulator for 48volt 100 Amp power supply.

Can anyone please let me have a circuit diagram for a battery charger regulator. It is a 5Kw unit running at 48 volts. I have the transformer and bridge connected Diodes and need to regulate the DC output using a Thryister circuit. Help appreiciated.

Reply to
mark

How about an Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor with PWM on the gate?

Reply to
BobG

What is the rating and construction (phase count and label voltage/current) of the transformer?

RL

Reply to
legg

:Can anyone please let me have a circuit diagram for a battery charger :regulator. It is a 5Kw unit running at 48 volts. I have the :transformer and bridge connected Diodes and need to regulate the DC :output using a Thryister circuit. Help appreiciated.

What is the application, eg, forklift battery charger? The application may affect the operating mode.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

:Can anyone please let me have a circuit diagram for a battery charger :regulator. It is a 5Kw unit running at 48 volts. I have the :transformer and bridge connected Diodes and need to regulate the DC :output using a Thryister circuit. Help appreiciated.

Designing and building a 48V, 100A battery charger is no trivial matter. It can be done using single phase 240Vac input but the supply wiring from the distribution board has to be specifically installed to handle the high current involved. You can't just plug it into a general purpose 240V outlet.

For example, here is a datasheet for a modern switchmode 48V, 100A telecommunications type battery charger

(you will have to manually add the square bracket part to the url)

You will see that even at 277Vac input the input current is still around 22A at maximum load - and that model is extremely efficient. While your requirement may not be so stringent, your own design may be less efficient and therefore draw more input current for a given output than the model above. It may then exceed the maximum allowable current draw from a 240Vac circuit.

Reply to
Ross Herbert