Reflow soldering for dummies

In all my years as an electronics "hobbyist", I've never bothered to experiment with SMD and reflow soldering.

I have a project now that is a very simple board and may even try some of those DIY techniques I've seen posted but also may send the board out to be populated.

BUT --

inevitably I'll use a combination of SMD and some through hole, (for a pin header, transformer, terminal blocks etc).

My question is --

if I send the board out and ask them to do JUST the SMD components (and I do all the through hole when I get them back) -- will I be able to do the through hole?

will the plated holes clog up ? (even without the flux?) or should I allow for larger diameters etc?

like I say -- complete novice at this. -- thanks

Reply to
mkr5000

Den fredag den 27. maj 2016 kl. 22.20.22 UTC+2 skrev mkr5000:

the solder paste is put on with a stencil, so you control where the solder goes in your CAD

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

And if you have a decent CAD program with decent libraries, stencil generation is automatic and correct.

You will, of course, want to double-check the gerbers.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

Once you find out how much it'll cost, consider that a toaster or a skillet from Goodwill costs $5 to $10, and will do a great job.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

and depending on the stencil thickness maybe reduce the openings, common default is same size as pad which in my experience is a bit too much

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes, I was in that camp until 2007.

Many PCB fabricators now offer stencil services as part of the deal (for additional cost). One thing to know is that you want to reduce the size of the stencil apertures to, maybe, 60% of the pad area. As components get smaller, the apertures need to get even smaller than that, to avoid bridging.

Anyway, if you have a stencil, wiping solder paste on the board and reflowing in a toaster oven or fry pan is surprisingly easy. In fact, it is so simple and works so well, it is quite close to MAGIC!

I bought a P&P machine in 2007 and hacked a thermocouple ramp & soak temperature programmer into it, and it works like a charm. I've done about a thousand boards this way.

If there is no solder paste on the through hole pads, they will stay perfectly clear, for your later manual installation of those parts. I do this all the time, I have through-hole connectors on everything I make.

For one board, I do dip soldering of the many through-hole connectors, there are too many for manual soldering. I slather liquid flux on the bottom of the board, drop all the components into place and then dip into a large solder pot to solder all the parts at once. This process is just a bit tricky, but this board has over 40 through-hole parts, so it is worth it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Inneresting. I've only bought one mask -- I usually do prototypes, for which I just apply a dot of solder to each pad, then rosin with a pin. This works well for everything except the various styles that have just a pad on the bottom of the part -- those parts need either more precision in getting the dots right than I can attain, or they need something more forgiving (like paste).

Come to think of it, I could put on BIG dots and file them flat -- I think I'll stick with solder paste, though.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Ok great -- as I thought. So if I send it out I'll just note the SMD pads for flux -- actually, will have to check my PCB program (Sprint layout) if it even does that, I know it has copper, silk screen and solder mask layers.

Do they generate where to put the flux from those? How would I designate -- ok no flux on the pt holes?

Do you use the silk screen layer and edit it? But isn't that for printed text etc?

When I get the CAD figured out I do want to do the oven thing.

Reply to
mkr5000

periment with SMD and reflow soldering.

of those DIY techniques I've seen posted but also may send the board out to be populated.

pin header, transformer, terminal blocks etc).

I do all the through hole when I get them back) -- will I be able to do th e through hole?

low for larger diameters etc?

for flux -- actually, will have to check my PCB program (Sprint layout) if it even does that, I know it has copper, silk screen and solder mask layer s.

-- ok no flux on the pt holes?

text etc?

there should be a layer for paste

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

And if there isn't, use a better program!

--
www.wescottdesign.com

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
Tim Wescott

ok -- haven't updated this program in many years -- maybe there's a paste layer now.

Reply to
mkr5000

I put a little bit of solder on those pads and take away most of it with solder wick, then I solder them with a hot air gun and put some pressure on them with tweezers. This usually works for parts with legs.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

That works great for parts with legs -- you usually don't even need the "take away" step if you apply it right.

But more and more of the parts coming across my desk just have pads on the bottom (I can NOT remember the package names off the top of my head! ), and it doesn't work very reliably at all for those.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

If they do the SMD with stencilled paste and reflow the holes will be left untouched. if the do it glued-on parts and with wave solder they'll be plugged.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

The solder paste is a mix of solder powder and flux, so both are a single layer.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

See:

for Dave Jones' video using a toaster oven. You can watch his failures as well as his successes.

Reply to
John S

Sorry. You might want to start with this one:

Reply to
John S

This is so cheap it make no sense working on an oven with a timer:

I think I need to try this in my home lab :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I meant exactly those parts with a (thermal) pad on the bottom. I would not do this for series production but for prototyping or replacing a blown part it works quite well for me. Like recently replacing that step-up LED driver that committed suicide by generating an output voltage way above its maximum ratings. It just better not to forget to connect the voltage feed back pin :-(

What I have problems with are the DFN types. They usually also have a big pad at the bottom and no legs, only metal that ends flush with the plastic case.

And you are correct that for normal parts with legs and no bottom pad (like so-NN) the "take away" step is not needed. It was only meant for the bottom pad to prevent or remove any bumps of solder.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

DFN, that's what I was trying to remember -- and those are the ones where you just need to use paste.