Using a pre-heater to reflow solder on a board

I have a board with lots of parts. Most all through hole. I think there is a cold solder joint on it somewhere. Can I use a pre- heater. The ones you see being sold for SMD rework? Will this work? If so what should I set it for. I know it is not made for this but I don't have a oven, and don't want to buy one. It would take me hours and hours to reflow each joint. Has anyone tried this? Is the only way to do it one at a time or an oven? or ??

Thansk Uriah

Reply to
Russ

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (known to some as Russ) scribed...

I don't know that a preheater will put out enough oomph to do as you describe.

One thing you can try, if you're careful, is to use an Ungar 6966C mini heat gun, along with the narrow tubular tip, to reflow small areas at a time. I've had great success using this same heat gun for minor SMD reflow to correct cold joints, but I have no idea how well (or poorly) it would work for thru-hole.

There have also been (and are) DIY projects to make a reflow oven out of a toaster oven. You may want to investigate this.

Happy flowing.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)