Re: Will LA boycott AZ. power?

I never asserted that Mexico has any right to US land. I merely pointed o=

ut

that much of it used to be a part of Mexico, which is true. =A0I am not > talking about Atzlan or any kind of re-conquest or that kind of nonsense.=

In

my view, any such action or militancy would be an act of treason against =

the

US and should be dealt with accordingly. > > What I am talking about is allowing Mexican citizens to visit the US and =

work here without harassment.

They already can. Just apply.

It could be basically some sort of bracero > program like we had 50 years ago. They would not be granted citizenship b=

ut

rather guest status, or visa status. We would not make laws against them =

nor

put up barriers to make them de-facto illegal.

Invading our country without permission is illegal. Already was.

We would accept the fact that > we value their labor for many of our enterprises and act accordingly. > > US citizens should be granted similar rights in Mexico.

When I was in Mexico we had to carry our papers /at all times/, and were frequently stopped, pulled off the highway by armed men demanding our papers.

According to their President, illegal immigrants to Mexico are turned back at the borders. In this CNN interview Thursday with Wolf Blitzer, starting around 5:00 Calderon says "Of course" Mexican police ask for papers and deport people illegally in their country:

Shorter version:

transcript:

BLITZER: So if people want to come from Guatemala or Honduras or El Salvador or Nicaragua, [if] they want to just come into Mexico, they can just walk in?

CALDERON: No. They need to fulfill a form. They need to establish their right name. We analyze if they have not a criminal precedent. And they coming into Mexico. Actually...

BLITZER: Do Mexican police go around asking for papers of people they suspect are illegal immigrants?

CALDERON: Of course. Of course, in the border, we are asking the people, who are you? And if they explain...

BLITZER: At the border, I understand, when they come in.

CALDERON: Yes.

BLITZER: But once they're in...

CALDERON: But not -- but not in -- if -- once they are inside the -- inside the country, what the Mexican police do is, of course, enforce the law. But by any means, immigration is a crime anymore in Mexico.

BLITZER: Immigration is not a crime, you're saying?

CALDERON: It's not a crime.

BLITZER: So in other words, if somebody sneaks in from Nicaragua or some other country in Central America, through the southern border of Mexico, they wind up in Mexico, they can go get a job, they can work?

CALDERON: No, no. If -- if somebody do that without permission, we send back -- we send back them.

BLITZER: You find them and you send them back?

CALDERON: Yes. However, especially with the people of Guatemala, we are providing a new system in which any single citizen from Guatemala could be able to visit any single border (INAUDIBLE) in the south. And even with all the requirements, he can or she can visit any parts of Mexico.

BLITZER: I ask the questions because there's an argument that people in Arizona and New Mexico and -- and Texas, they say they're only trying to do in their states what Mexico itself does in the southern part of Mexico.

CALDERON: I know. And that is a very powerful argument. But that is one of the reasons why we are trying to change our policy.

Investment in Mexico > would be encouraged and Americans should be able to do business down ther=
without threat of property confiscation or undue mordida. Every effort > should be made to allow the development of Mexico so their citizens are n=

ot

so tempted to move north. > > Putting up fences and enacting anti-Mexican laws

The Arizona law doesn't say anything about Mexico, yet you automatically assume all illegals are Mexican? That's racist.

is reacting to the problem > but not doing anything to solve it. It makes us more like Iran every day. > Nice company!

On Tuesday in LA a radio guy was reading the Arizona law, and callers were calling in fuming, calling it racist, racial-profiling, etc.

Except it was actually the California law--they're pretty much the same.

Whooops.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat