Re: Variable low pass filtering?

Standard audio low pass filters tend to work by adjusting the corner

> instead of the roll off or in some sense a one sided Q. So your > standard treble control is a simple RC low pass filter with R being a > pot. We have been conditioned by years of use to understand how these > filters work but they are not the only ones. > > What about changing the roll off rate instead or as a combination with > the corner? =A0Something that shifts the corner and increases the roll > off? I suppose this is hard to realize in hardware because it requires > a way to vary between a large number of poles smoothly? At least in > the analog domain. > > I wonder what such filters would look like and sound like?

You can make such a beast uses voltage controllers amplifiers (really variable OTA). Probably googling voltage controlled filter will get you started on the search. Curtis Electromusic made such chips, but of course DSP took the market.

I'm sad to hear Doug died. I used to do contract work for him. Damn nice guy that would do back flips for you if you treated him right. When he fired someone, trust me, they deserved it.

I think the variable Q is what you are after:

miso

Crikey! So did I. I did a VCA on one of the _smallest_ Interdesign Monochips for him.

How old was Doug? When I worked with them we were all young ;-)

...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Doug had a nice business doing the heavy lifting for customers wanting Interdesign or Exar analog gate arrays, in addition to his full custom work. [These people needed more hand holding that an Exar or Interdesign would provide, plus it made more sense to spend a bit more up front money to employ an outfit familiar with the gate arrays.] ] In the old days, the company was his guest house, and you were greeted by coyotes. Eventually he got an office by the airport.

I'm guessing he was in his 60's. Hard to tell.

Reply to
miso

[snip]

I remember the airport location, not sure about the location with coyotes... too long ago ;-) I did have friend (Bob Hirschfeld) that had a location up on Big Basin (Big Bear ?) Road.

Like I say, we were all young back then ;-) It's scary to me that I'm months from 70, but I don't feel "old" ;-)

My e-mail archives says we last made contact in 2002 (along with Camenzind) regarding the ECI/STI foundry.

...Jim Thompson