Low Pass Filter basics

I have a question about low pass filters. I am designing a 2nd order low pass LC filter. What determines the response type? (ie. butterworth, bessel, etc.)

Many thanks, Paul

Reply to
toyo22r

toyo22r: What determines the response type? (ie. butterworth, bessel, etc.) ==================== Response has to do with damping... this is controlled by Q of the coil Q=omegaL/R, f=1/(2*pi*R*C)

Reply to
BobG

Sorry. Too early. that f was for an RC filter. For the LC filter f=1/(2*pi*sqrt(LC))

Reply to
BobG

Active or passive ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Reply to
James Douglas

Not alone. The load on the filter affects the damping too. ( in the case of an active filter the gain ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The various response types emphasise certain filter features, such that one chosen style may offer a little extra benefit in a particular filtering job. (You) make the choice based on knowing what flavours are available (there's about half a dozen kicking about) and the particular properties that they each advertise. Feature wise, there's not a great deal to mug up on but I can't offhand suggest a [useful] filter website as I've not seen one and most filter textbooks lose the plot after about page 1. At the end of the day, a LP filter is a LP filter and a design that gives components calculated for a Butterworth style response (feature: flat response upto it's cutoff) can be OK for maybe 90% of all day to day filtering needs. All the rest is just niceties :) regards john

Reply to
john jardine

Look here:

Chapter 3 has a nice explanation of antialias filters, and gives a good description of the different types of filters.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

A great discovery solves a great problem, but there is a grain of discovery
in the solution of any problem.  Your problem may be modest, but if it
challenges your curiosity and brings into play your inventive faculties,
and if you solve it by your own means, you may experience the tension and
enjoy the triumph of discovery.
- George Polya
Reply to
Bob Monsen