Re: Unsmoothed car battery charger - is it crap?

My car battery is oversized for the car. The battery is a bit old

> but usually works fine. The battery is flat (I left the lights > on). > > My fancy new modern charger senses a poor battery and only puts in > very little charge. > > I used to use a really old charger to charge this battery > successfully. I opened up the old charger and saw it was only a > transformer and a big rectifier. That's it. No soothing. > > Is this ok for a car battery or is it way too crude?

Check the electrolyte level in your battery.Filtered DC causes polarization of the battery.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

An unpolarised battery isn't much use.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's a sealed battery. Are they better or worse than electrolyte batteries when the charge drops to very low?

Reply to
Eddie

Similar, the difference is when they're overcharged , but any battery with a high CCA compared to it's capacity won't like being hard discharged. Boost it for a few hours on the old charger, charge it up on a decent one or by driving the car & see if it's still happy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Dunno - might make a good door stop

--
geoff
Reply to

Fair point.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , geoff writes

Depends a bit on size.

Last week a VERY large hornet decided to take a stroll across my work bench. A 2.8Ah Yuasa flattened it perfectly. Although I must admit that it was not unpolarised, the battery that is.

Any one have any other uses for old batteries?

--
Bill
Reply to

An AC battery would be darn handy...

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

You've not met Radioheads big battery have you :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" wrote in news:op.uu58ttjshaghkf@lucy:

it may not be truly "sealed",the cell caps may be under a sticker or 3 cells having one big "cap". HOWEVER,for an old battery,the plates are likely sulfated and not capable of accepting a charge;the sulfate acts as an insulator.

auto lead-acid batteries typically only last 4-5 years,depending on the climate;hotter climates shorten the life.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A large percentage of sulphated batteries can be recovered to initial (pre-sulphation) glory - but it takes time and patience along with a reasonable technique.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Although they're called sealed, car batteries are actually low maintenance types which are still wet. Some serious off roaders may use SLA - but don't know of any car which does.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MX5s IIRC

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, when religion peddlers come to the door, they make great things to throw.

"But, I didn't see that guy standing there, sorry!"

BTW, don't unpolarized batteries just provide AC? And if that's the case, how do you specifiy 50 or 60 Hz?

Reply to
PeterD

Yes. 0VAC

0VAC 50/60Hz.

Of course, in Spice they can deliver whatever voltage/frequency you want. No need to worry about the little details of thermodynamics either.

Reply to
keithw86

...that is how fast it tumbles when thrown?

Reply to
Robert Baer

In message , PeterD writes

The further you drop it, the more it hurts ...

--
geoff
Reply to

Optima sells SLA batteries intended for vehicles. I don't know of any car manufacture that uses one as the OEM battery, but I've seen plenty of them in cars. Whether they have any real advantage over conventional low maintenance automotive batteries in that application, I don't know.

Reply to
James Sweet

I don't think Optima is SLA - ie gel electrolytic. It's wet but spill proof.

Love all the blurb about how long they last. If only they backed that up with a warranty.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

says their Optima batteries are not gel cell.

Michael A. Terrell