Re: Toyota Solid State Batteries

Yup. And that "big battery" will be charging one car per day so it could recharge to provide that megawatt fast charge.

I still remember working at the oil field 40 years ago where we had three 12MW compressors pumping gas into oil wells ("gas lift"). It is like charging 36 those fast charge cars. Nothing special, just a little thing -- we had a couple of dedicated high voltage power lines straight from the power plant...

Reply to
Sergey Kubushyn

The story is from 2021...nothing has been added to it apparently.

It would be nice if it worked out, but we all know manufacturers have marketing departments that don't always know what they are talking about.

As for a megawatt charging, this might make short term storage options useful - something that takes a while to charge but could release it quickly under load.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Indeed! So who'd be stupid enough to invest big buxx in installing that "big battery" with its accompanying infrastructure for such an insignificant clientele?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, it's been about 18 months now since I complained about being nearly run over by an electric car which I couldn't hear coming when crossing the road and nothing of the kind has happened to me since, I'm happy to report. That outcome was certainly not expected. I'd anticipated being run-over with increasing regularity as time went on, but it would seem I was vastly over-estimating the take-up of EVs. There's a certain cohort in the population who will not willingly submit to climate alarmism - and it's much larger than I'd thought and thankfully, sanity has prevailed.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

A lot of elderly people will simply be unable to handle such a heavy and cumbersome piece of equipment.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You can bet any electrical contacts under a car no matter how well protected, will suffer from salt, water and grit ingress. There's no keeping it out unless it's all permantently sealed up which of course it can't be.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom