Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

If you want to stuff a huge V8 with 200 tons of air conditioning and

>power-everything under the hood, you need a lot of hood. > >But Cadillac and most things Chrysler are admittedly over the top. >They corner the ugly-car-lover market. > >John

For good reason. In 1978, the congress critters passed the gas guzzlers tax:

The typical land yacht, with about 15mpg, pays about $4,000 in gas guzzlers tax.

The idea was to discourage big ugly oversized non-commercial vehicles. However, they exempted anything over 6000 lbs GVW. So, in accordance to the law of unintended consequences, the industry simply delivered monstrous vehicles that officially weighted 6001 lbs and save a bundle on the taxes.

Of course, the government derives substantial revenue from taxing what are now economy and mid size cars, so don't expect the situation to change in the foreseeable future.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If the politicoes had any guts+sense, they'd just up the taxes on gasoline, and let the market take care of the rest.

John

Until we all storm Washington, DC with our pitchforks and torches. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I could live with arbitrarily high gasonline taxes, since I only have a bike. ;-)

(admittedly, bus fares might go up a bit.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

So all the things you buy are delivered to the stores on bikes?

Reply to
Smitty Two

That's not my call, thank you very much.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Um, uh, hello? So you really think that gasoline prices don't impact your life, just because you personally don't burn the stuff? You don't think the prices of every single thing you buy are influenced heavily by fuel costs? Your world isn't *that* insular, is it?

Reply to
Smitty Two

He doesn't think. That's the problem. As long as he can get his booze, he doesn't care.

Michael A. Terrell

Gawd, you people sure do make up a lot of stuff. Prices are going up anyway, for any number of reasons; I have no control over that in any case. (Try buying food that used no fuel in the manufacturing.) All I was saying is that I don't buy gasoline.

Are you advocating lobbying for fuelless food delivery? Sorry, I'm not one of those activist fools.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

YOU CAN ALL CLEAN MY PROBE