Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:08:32 +0100, Allus Smith

> >>Don't start me on the looks of cars! > > Mini. Citroën. Vauxhall. Volvo. Rolls. Porsche. Fiat. > >

I thought the Miata was ugly, until I saw a PT Cruiser. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The design is reminiscent of the Chrysler Airstream, which was a major flop

70+ years ago.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

AFAIK the Airstream was not a major flop. The Airflow was, but mostly due to really bad manufacturing defects.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I might have gotten the name wrong, as I was in a rush. Regardless, Chrysler produced a "streamlined" car that the public didn't warm to.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Reason I mentioned it was that the Airflow doesn't look similar to the PT Cruiser at all while the Airstream does (with the PT Cruiser being a whole lot smaller).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The Airflow was Ferdinand Porsche's inspiration for the Volkswagen. That's why most people's immediate reaction on seeing it is "Whoa--a huge Beetle!"

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not really. AFAIK it was this one that inspired Porsche, he supposedly had technical discussions with Hans Ledwinka who designed the Tatra car:

Hard to say though because the Chrysler Airflow came to market at just about the same time. However, back in those days there was no fast mail, Internet or even air travel between the US and Europe so information exchanges would have been slow.