Re: Soldering irons: made in America but designed in Russia?

Probably the most inaccurate page on Wikipedia, with probably the longest list of dubious references. 90% of the inventions on that list were invented by someone else, in a different country, years, decades or in some cases even centuries before.

Reply to
Mike

Most discoveries have precedents. But the US has a solid history of doing things that work. Maybe Edison didn't invent the first electric light, or Ford didn't invent the car, but they sure made them available to the world.

But vacuum tubes, transistors, electronic television, ICs, lasers, microprocessors, LEDS, FPGAs, fiber optics, internet, the majority of electronics stuff is American.

The claim that the US is somehow lagging Europe technologically is just silly. We are stuck with some older technologies, simply because we invented and deployed them first.

John

Come on, now, John, You know everything was invented by the French... while they were out on strike ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I thought he was talking about you, Jim :) Couldn't help myself...

--
Mark
Reply to

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

How do you fix the French? "Fix" 'em? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Actually, when ignored at an ice cream stand in Strasbourg, I said to Naomi, "Let's take our business elsewhere"... instant service and kiss-um-up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

"Patently" untrue.. The Russians invented everything; back when i was a kid (rughly 60 years ago), a lot of equipment advertised that fact: "Reg. U.S. Pat. Off" meaning Reginald US vonPatOff (senior? his magisty?).

Reply to
Robert Baer

While much is easily disputed, the 90% claim is seriously overblown. I, as an american, had problems with about 15% of the claims, ans i know that at elast 2% to 5% simply ain't so. Classic example, Charles Babbage and the need for interchangable parts. .

Reply to
JosephKK