Re: Repost please: $1/watt solar panals.

How would one go about powering a laptop from a 12VDC supply? DC-DC converter? The only things I would likely power from PV would be lights, computers (laptops) and a fridge.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

DU in a *bomb* would be pretty pointless, if you stop to think about it. From Wikipedia: "Depleted uranium is used as a tamper in fission bombs and as a nuclear explosive in hydrogen bombs. It is a potential containment material for a Nuclear shaped charge due to its opacity to X- Rays."

Depleted Uranium _is_ used in some ordnance rounds (most famously tank rounds), and if the person in question is "relaxed" with her usage of military terminology, that may be what she was referring to.

--
Encrypted email encouraged and PREFERRED
Thursday, October 29, 2009 @ 1454

Like we used to say in the old days "Plonk"

Reply to
nospam

Big deal. So you drink the cheapest booze you can find. That explains a lot about you.

Michael A. Terrell

Google the term "laptop auto adapter" for zillions of returns like this:

My 'fridge does not like my square wave inverter (some do, some don't). Also remember that your defrost heaters can take well over 1,000 watts. My present disaster plan is to run my refrigerator only when my generator is running.

Vaughn

Reply to
vaughn

actual breakeven, owing to all the previously lost energy.

to be confusing energy break even with economic break even. I a

in the real world.

down the road,

net energy surplus.

technology.

The third wants to use solar too.

Reply to
krw

Then he better start looking for an unlocked Prius.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

"vaughn" wrote in news:hccq4j$e56$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I have a 12 volt LED reading light with its own dedicated battery & small elcheapo automotive battery saver solar panel. MR-PL-DC-DL Daylight White

has been working for more than a year w/no issues a few hours a night even with the dinky solar panel. Claims to use 2.5 watts

My main system uses an inverter but the 12 volt reading light is nice because I can shut the whole thing down when I go to bed and still read

Josepi

Well, these aren't exactly 'cheap', but are guaranteed for 3300 cycles.

If you discharge/charge about 1/2 a cycle per day and immediately recharged it, that 'should' last 6600 days that would be 18 years.

Problem is, solar applications are more like discharge 30%, wait 8 hours, charge 20%, discharge another 30%, wait 8 hours charge 25%, etc...

That kind of 'cycle' is pretty hard on any battery.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

That scenario should only be happening during multiple-day dark periods. For typical installations, the rest of the time the routine discharge should be less. To make the math easy, figure 4 days supply and 20% reserve. Which makes a sunny day's dark-period discharge perhaps half of a day's consumption - 10%, then back to full by early afternoon. It depends on the owner's habits though. If they tend to leave early for work and arrive home late, and had no daytime loads, then most or perhaps all the consumption might make a trip through the batteries. Then I could see how it could come close to your scenario, in winter at least.

I think that's what's worse are setups where the batteries get deep-discharged, and then on the first sunny day it's charge back to

50%, discharge back to 30, charge to 60, back to 40 etc. I've seen that scenario a lot, and when you combine it with (most) owners who don't have a convenient way to gauge battery charge level, it's easy to see how some installations have short-lived batteries. I really lean on people to get and use battery meters. Then they can see right away if their full-charges are too infrequent.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Yup when the battery meter says dead for the whole of December 'cause the sun has been cancelled my batteries are really gonna' last for 20 years, like yours do (try to convince us you are real).

Let's face it, you think you are gifted in the alternative energy department and in a few other ways. We doubt you would be able to get away with your bullshit in a real environment where you have to actually provide energy to live from and not just play Superman online.

Reply to
Josepi

Most anyone with a serious pv setup have a back up genny to recharge batteries in time of low sunshine, so your argument is pretty much bull...........

Reply to
nospam

So your 20 years batteries would sit completely exhausted for the whole month of Decemebr and part of January?

Maybe get rid of the Superman costume and come back to earth. Possibly give that bra>> Yup when the battery meter says dead for the whole of December 'cause the

Reply to
Joseoi

If you didn't top post maybe everyone could figure out who you are responding to. I say it again, "most anyone with a serious pv setup have a back up genny to recharge batteries in time of low sunshine, so your argument is pretty much bull........... "

Reply to
nospam

Obviously nobody cares what you stated. It's probably too hard to figure out who posted what after you scramble the headers and text so badly.

Reply to
Josepi

What the hell are you talking about? Do you even know what headers are? Bottom posting is the established norm for usenet, it's you that's screwed up.

Reply to
nospam

Obviously your distraction from the issue won't work with me.

Your genny usage doesn't make your batteries last longer. It only exemplifies how you will dmage your batteries and the need to replace them every few years.

Now look what you have done to the headers. You've gone a disassociated all the text again.

Reply to
Josepi

More bull, I'm beginning to think the only battery you have ever recharged is in a cell phone. Battery life is partially determined by how deep they are discharged, which is where the generator comes in. It was a rare occurrence our batteries were ever allowed to discharge more than 40%, in times of low sun the autostart on the generator kicked in. Such auto starts are set to monitor the state of the batteries and kick in as needed, for recharge or large loads.

Reply to
nospam

Blah..blah..blah.. Read the manufacturers warranties. 3-5 years on most batteries if you never discharge them below 50% and treat them perfectly.

Reply to
Josepi