Re: PIN Photodiode: needs biasing?

I have been doing some experimenting with a transimpedance amp (LF353) and a PIN

>photodiode. So far I have been using only a simple 1M feedback resistor with >zero bias on the diode. Then I noticed in the datasheet for the PIN photodiode >(NEC PH302) it shows a graph of photodiode current as a function of reverse >bias. According to that graph, the photodiode current should be about double >with 2 volts of reverse bias on the diode as compared with zero bias. When I >tried it, the gain of the system remained the same (I have a squarewave light >signal generated by a LED). It did improve the transient response quite a bit, >especially when I rasied the bias to 7 volts (due to the reduced diode >capacitance, I guess) but I saw no evidence of increased photodiode current. Is >this bogus? I have not seen this stated anywhere else besides the NEC PH302 >datasheet, but Graeme in his classic book on Photodiode Amplifiers does say that >PIN diodes are usually used with bias. Why is that? Why PINs and not all >photodiodes? > > >Robert Scott >Ypsilanti, Michigan

I think current can be lower at zero bias because some photon-smacked hole-electron pairs recombine and are lost. With a reverse-bias field, they are swept up and collected quickly.

For the first few volts of reverse bias, junction capacitance drops rapidly, so the *circuit* gets faster. That effect flattens out quickly, but higher bias sweeps carriers out faster and continues to improve *diode* speed.

At very high voltages (50? 100?) you can get avalanche multiplication that greatly increases gain (and noise.) Some diodes are designed to do this well.

Something like that.

John

PIN

Is

that

Just be aware that some of the communications diodes cannot tolerate more than 5V. At least per abs max in the datasheet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to