PIN Photodiode: needs biasing?

I have been doing some experimenting with a transimpedance amp (LF353) and a PIN photodiode. So far I have been using only a simple 1M feedback resistor with zero bias on the diode. Then I noticed in the datasheet for the PIN photodiode (NEC PH302) it shows a graph of photodiode current as a function of reverse bias. According to that graph, the photodiode current should be about double with 2 volts of reverse bias on the diode as compared with zero bias. When I tried it, the gain of the system remained the same (I have a squarewave light signal generated by a LED). It did improve the transient response quite a bit, especially when I rasied the bias to 7 volts (due to the reduced diode capacitance, I guess) but I saw no evidence of increased photodiode current. Is this bogus? I have not seen this stated anywhere else besides the NEC PH302 datasheet, but Graeme in his classic book on Photodiode Amplifiers does say that PIN diodes are usually used with bias. Why is that? Why PINs and not all photodiodes?

Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan

Reply to
Robert Scott

PIN

Is

that

Robert,

What I have noticed with unbiased silicon photodiodes in general is that they are pretty linear up to about 0.2 or 0.25 V output, no matter what current + load resistor combination is used. By the time the output gets up to 0.3 or 0.4 V, the response (output vs. incident photo power) is pretty well flattening out. You don't mention what output current or voltage you are getting, but hopefully this info helps you determine if you should need biasing for linearity.

That being said, it has been 12+ years since I worked with a PIN photodiode, and I'm not sure if they behave vastly different, in terms of linearity, vs. a regular PN type. If speed is an issue, then as you noticed biasing will help you with that.

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

PIN

Is

that

Provided you built a good TIA where the voltage at the photodiode node does not move the reverse bias is primarily intended to reduce the diode capacitance and thus improve speed. It also allows you to reduce the compensation cap Cfb for the TIA, making it a bit more hot. But that really only matters in the 100MHz+ speed ranges, not so much for an LF series amp.

I finished a photodiode design about a month ago and this one went to

100MHz. I moved the bias around a bit but even there it didn't matter. I just kept it in case the client wants to go higher one day.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

PIN

Is

that

The datasheet I found doesn't start at zero. Do you have a link?

Reply to
miso

PIN

Is

that

The datasheet I found doesn't start at zero. Do you have a link?

Reply to
miso

It is a crummy optically-scanned image document. Do you have a better one, perhaps one that is not just an optical scan?

Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan

Reply to
Robert Scott

That is the same one I found. Since the graph doesn't go to zero, how did you conclude the shift for 2v back bias?

Reply to
miso

Hello miso,

They obviously measured with an ampere-meter with 100kOhm input resistance. This is nonsense of course in a photo-diode application when you measure over a wide range of light(photo current). As soon as there is a voltage drop of a very few 100mV on the load resistor, the measured current isn't correct because the photo diode gets internally forward biased by this value. Either a negative bias voltage will help to prevent that or a short circuit current measurement (transimpedance amplifier).

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

Robert is talking about the photocurrent (bottom of p. 3 in the .pdf file), whereas you seem to be talking about the graph of leak current (top of p. 3).

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Does this mean the efficiency of the detector increases with bias? Or are they lumping leakage in with photocurrent?

Reply to
miso

one,

If you mean the ~1 uA increase between about 20V and 30V reverse bias, it is definately not leakage (dark) current, which is only several nA.

The increase is probably due to some avalanching (electrons multiplying), rather than a higher quantum efficiency of the photodiode. Note how close the bias is getting to the max rating of

32V.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly