Re: Overview Of New Intel Core i7(Nehalem) Processor

??? The only use I have for Google is reading newsgroups while the system is thinking.

Reply to
krw

It was also stupid. They did it to reduce THEIR costs. Folks still pay triple too high a price for their triple overpriced crap, and now... it is no longer faster, as it once was.

The Cell, OTH, IS being used in clusterized mini-supers and the like. They ARE faster than anything else around at present (in their price range).

Ther are companies out there that have a lot more money than you do that actually get to play with the more modern toys. Sad, but true.

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

We get a lot of business from google searches. We ask engineers how they find stuff, and they usually say 'google'

And Google Earth rocks. Ditto their patent search. And their igoogle custom home page, with weather and sticky notes and such.

Google is rotten for newsgroups!

John

I'm a circuit designer, not a computer builder, so I play with different toys. We are doing one system now with an embedded mini-ITX PC, Intel and Linux. At that level, the processor is pretty much invisible.

John

I also use google earth, and got my current job that way. Some of my co-workers tout Google Maps as being better, but I always thought Google Earth resolved down to map level anyway. I never had any problem finding anything with it.

The place in The Shawshank Redmption - "Zihuatenejo" was easy to find.

There is a cool museum near Mexico City that was neat viewed from above.

The Beach:

Lat: 17°37'36.94"N Long: 101°34'23.47"W

The Museum:

lat: 20°43'21.90"N long: 103°25'52.07"W

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Other than Usenet searches, I *never* use Google.

There are tons of patent search engines out there. As part of my job, I used to have a subscription to Delphion. For what I need now, USPTO works. I doubt I'll ever submit another patent (but they keep trickling in anyway). ;-)

You're being kind, but no choice. They now block all NNPT access. Don't know how they did it, but I can't get to *any* NNTP server. Even ones that use weird ports or even port:80.

Reply to
krw

the

Talking about damning with faint praise. Cell would be *lousy* as a GP processor.

Yep. I worked on the G3 and G5 (PPC/750 and /970), until they pulled the rug out. That's all right. I'm having much more fun now. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Nah, not invisible at all. The PPC is the one that's glowing (we were pushing 130W @1.25V). ;-|

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:43:52 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I am impressed, but was not that in ASM, where the poor customer has to create funny RS232 commands to have it do anything?

hehe Yes, boards first time right is good. But it seems you have never done any of those higher level software program... especially ones that depend on a hundred other libs.

Basically what you wrote is just a driver ;-) After that the real thing starts,

Yes, I know that, but same for hardware, from space missions where the first

3 multi-million rockets fail for reasons that a non-expert would think are mistakes he or she would never make, like a booster running into the next stage (next stage engine firing too late), leaky fuel leads as now with the shuttle launch delay, faulty speedometers (pitot tubes) on airplanes, tunnels made for underground trains that are too low for the trains.. the list is endless. On the other side of the spectrum there are more good, say successful, hardware project, AND software projects. those just do not get press. You say : 'All my programs work', I can say the same, butt I also know the limitations of mine, and neither get a big press. Although I have designed projects that did get nation wide TV coverage, I have always preferred the place behind the camera, never in front. There is nothing that is forgotten so fast as 'news'.

Yes a million is a lot, these days it fits on one USB stick. One cosmic ray and there goes your million.

LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

My original statement had them in a hybrid machine, but I never expect peanut gallery comment retards like you to actually read a thread before you mouth off like the retard that you are.

Aside from that, it already IS in use in a computer. The PS3.

It runs some apps faster than on a PC.

We will also see it the controller in network routers, etc.

On 10Gb, which is coming down the pipe:

Cell BE: 8.5Gb/s That is near wire speed. Unheard of in Ethernet speak.

Other candidates for 10Gb Ethernet? None that I know of that can even come close.

Yes, we will be seeing the Cell in a lot of locations.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The power management in the Cell is an order of magnitude better than the old method, and it is better than either of the big CPU makers' offerings.

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

When you want a part or some equipment or some such, how do you look for it?

John

You illiteracy level is showing... again.

"Other than Usenet searches..." Ring a bell?

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

What difference does it make what it's programmed in? What matters is that it works, that it has no bugs, and that it took less than two weeks to code, test, and release.

And the serial commands are not "funny." They are clean and easy to use and they include a nice set of HElp commands. People buy this stuff and nobody has complained about the syntax. SCPI is, on the other hand, a nightmare both to compose and to parse.

To set the channel 2 frequency to 31.552 MHz, 2.5 volts peak, just send

2Freq 31.552M; 2Ampl 2.5

and it replies

OK;OK

where only the first two chars of a token are needed. What's wrong with that?

Send STatus to get a nice system summary screen. It's very friendly.

This thing has over 250 distinct serial commands. In under 2 weeks. The parser is pretty elegant.

Exactly. By choice. That would take longer, run slower, be mostly out of my control, require a bunch of external RAM, and probably ship with bugs. Why would I want to do that?

One joy of being an electronics designer is that you don't have to get tangled up in insane crap like that.

It manages a really cool DDS synthesizer/ARB. It even includes a set of demo waveforms, like the one that generated the mpeg movie. Yes, that's built-in. If a user calls us and says something like "channel 2 is broken" we can just say "send it the 'DEMO 1' command and check the output" or "send it the 'BIST' command and it will completely test itself." Yes, it has full BIST; that was the worst part of the programming. Composing the HELP screens was a pain, too.

tubes) on

project, AND software projects.

limitations

always

I haven't lost a source file since I started my company. We have a formal release procedure and over-the-top backups.

You seem to object to the tools I use to design products. That makes no sense unless you can show that something is wrong with the products themselves.

Show us some electronic products that you've designed.

John

We'd really like to go fanless, at least CPU-fanless, since the CPU fans are usually junk.

John

Usually one of the manufacturers sites, often distys, sometimes search.com. Never Google.

Reply to
krw

^ What can I say, DimBulb.

What do Usenet searches have to do with finding "parts or equipment"? Again, what can I say, Dimmie.

Reply to
krw

Power management has nothing to do with it, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

Cell *is* a hybrid machine. It would make a *lousy* general purpose processor. You really are showing your dimness today, DimBulb.

Hardly a general purpose computer, Dimmie.

Of course, since it's *not* general purpose. For *SPECIFIC* purposes it's faster. Duh!

I highly doubt it. No reason.

Yawn.

Yawn.

Hardware.

Nothing to do with GP processors though, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 13 Jun 2009 08:32:28 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Now you do it again, 'insane' and 'crap'. Some libraries are designed by universities, with a lot of man hours, and a lot of documentation, look for example at the Sphinx Speech Recognition Engines:

the Festival Speech Synthesis System:
the transcode project, the mbrdico speech synthesizer:

What is crap in all that? It is all high level stuff you have no clue about, even about the degree of difficulty in those things.

How about cinelerra video editor:

How about ffmpeg codec and mplayer:

How about xine:
and more then a thousand, if not a million other high and low level projects, libraries?

I would imagine it would interface to something like mathcad, where you could just dream up some waveform :-)

I do not object to anything, except you insults to the work of others, like those who create really advanced stuff, like I referenced above. More complex then you will ever do, and probably more bug free.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje