Re: OT: Is this math(bailout)?

Suppose I am in debt and I need "relief". I decide to give myself a bailo=

ut.

So I take money from my pocket and then put it in the other pocket. Am I =

now

bailed out?

Actually, you are taking money out of one pocket (located on a future article of clothing that doesn't yet exist) and putting that money into your pocket today....

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Actually, you are taking money out of one pocket (located on a future article of clothing that doesn't yet exist) and putting that money into your pocket today....

The pockets the money comes from is the existing pockets of taxpayers and the pockets its going into is those of the fat cats who skim billions in bonuses when the going is good but run cap in hand to the government when the going gets tough.

Reply to
ian field

On Oct 1, 4:35=EF=BF=BDpm, "ian field" wro= te:

No its not. The capital that is funding the bailout (rescue plan) is debt financing. They will raise the ceiling on the National Debt to cover the $700B. That money is not coming from taxpayers (initially).

If it were, you would be bankrupt overnight. Take $700B and divide by the number of taxpayers. Only then will you see that your conclusion above is completely impossible.

The truth is, our future children and grandchildren will be paying this debt (and the interest on it) for a very long time. Much depends on how the actual final deal is structured, whether productivity increases in the short term, and how long it might take for the purchased asset values to recover (assuming they recover or are currently undervalued).

I don't disagree at all with your statments regarding CEO / top mgmt compensation! Compensation should be based on long-term value contributions by the individual to the organization's shareholders. I'm not sure I agree with salary caps, but clearly something needs to be done. Perhaps legislation which controls the action of the various Executive Compensation Committies? And of course, no caps on privately-held companies. Only if they exchange securities or take public money.

-mpm

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Then send each taxpayer a check for his/her $350,000,000.00 share.

Problem Solved! ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

nd

en

Or completely possible, and true.

(hint: you might want to re-check your arithmetic.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur