You guys are gonna get a kick out of this

Today in my high school auto class, I learned the propper way to connect batteries in series.

----------------+ I /I I / I I / I I / I I / I GND I

------------------ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\

----------------+ I /I I / I I / I I / I I / I GND I

------------------

There it is; the right way. Earlier this year I learned what kinda idiots wrote my text. It's a good thing my trusty old teacher was there to straighten things out. An ignition coil couldn't give out 30,000 volts because that would be enough to melt all the wiring in the car. They meant to say 30,000 milli or kilo volts, It doesn't matter which, just not volts.

I would like to take this oppertunity to thank the teachers union for requireing less testing and making tenure more easily atainable. It makes me feel good to know that my teachers are trusted enough to keep up to date. I would also like say kudos to the public school system. I'm glad they require twelve years of quality education to work out the kinks in every thing I thought I knew. Well, thats all for now, I'll keep everybody updated on the RIGHT way to do things.

Reply to
ngdbud

In , ngdbud wrote in part:

Automotive ignition coils actually deliver somewhere around 30,000 volts. Voltage alone does not melt wires - not even if continuous - check out solid state Tesla coils as an example of continuous operation with even higher voltage and wire thinner than most wires that can be found in a car. And much of the wiring in a car is not affected by the ignition coil. Is your "trusty old" teacher actually one of the ones that you would rather complain about? Or do you merely require more teaching?

And 30,000 kilovolts is 30 million volts - in the ballpark of lightning.

30,000 millivolts is something rarely stated since that is 30 volts.

- Don Klipstein (Jr) ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Are you just another lonely troll looking for attention? If not, you need to be careful whom you call an idiot. Check your facts and check your spelling. You'll learn quite a bit, that way.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I made sure I checked my facts right before I posted it. I know a milli means one thousandth and kilo means one thousand. My auto teacher is the one that told me otherwise. In that diagram, he connected the batteries in series and then shorted the terminals. It takes one section of wire to hook up batteries in series, not three (assuming the final negative and positive terminals are left bare). And as for my spelling, it's spending almost 7 hours a day, 9 months a year with teachers like that and the students they produce that make me loose all sense of caring. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else, just that we all have our areas we do a little better in, and a teacher shouldn't be allowed to teach an area they don't know like the back of their hand.

P.S. Checked my spelling ;)

Reply to
ngdbud

He's right as well you know, about national curriculum teaching being totally weird and incorrect.

When at university I had a quite public criticising argument with one of these part-time computer science lecturers who insisted the code for my encryption research be in high level. Couldn't accept it being written in assembly language/machine code so I did it low level anyway. Got a low grade too. He was well woooly, and didn't have a clue either. Surprised he didn't want it written in Visual Basic or Pascal or something..

Reply to
techie_alison

^^^^^

Yeah, but not "is this the right word?" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You don't need a science degree to teach science, you need a teaching degree. That's logical, isn't it?

John

I personally think both should be required and pay should be raised. They have to teach the future busieness owners of America. It should be they're job to teach and mine to learn. If I hadn't been such a nerd I would be sitting here believeing that car ignition coils put out 30,000 millivolts and that if you hook up a three hundred amp starter motor to a five hundred cold cranking amp battery, I would have two hundered amps left in the battery after the 2 seconds of use it takes to start an engine. I don't think my dear auto teacher even knows what an amp hour is. thats just the electronics though, he can get any engine running quicker than anyone else I've seen and thats what counts as an auto teacher, not the terminology.

Reply to
ngdbud

do us all a favour and use a fixed pitch font for thes diagrams, done any other way they give unpredictable results on other peoples computer screens,

except batteries don't have a "GND" terminal

30,000V is about right but it only goes onto the spark plug (and distributor) wires. that's why these wire have much thicker insulation.

the wiring between the coil and the points (or electronic ignition module) gets maybe 300V (pulses, not full-time, if you don't believe me stick your finger on the terminal when the motor's running)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

You need to escalate this issue to an administrator. What you need to do is see your principal. Explain why you believe your instructor is not qualified to conduct your shop sessions. If you have accurately portrayed what has taken place then your safety and the safety of your fellow students is at risk. It is almost June, has this instructor been in charge all year? Tom

Reply to
tombiasi

Oh yes it can !

*Volts* don't melt wiring, it's the *Amps* that do !

No they didn't. You need to learn some basics about electricity before making such daft statements.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

This is coming from the mouth of my teacher. I would never make sucha bold statment before making sure I was right. I knew these things but somehow my qualified auto instructor not only didn't know them but taught them that way. Public schooling sucks.

Reply to
ngdbud

That's worrying. Especially not knowing that it's amps that burns stuff up.

Your experience of it certainly isn't great in this regard.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

i do remember the original post on this thread. i have to tell you that you should listen more to your instructor. he is much more correct than you think. with that i am not going to get into it any deeper.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5