Re: OT: Inflation in the US

MooseFET wrote:

> >> ... >> Stagflation started under Nixon. Remember the wage and price controls >> and all the distortions it caused in the economy. This is part of >> what messed up the US car industry among others. > >I was born in 1952. Price controls were in effect which had been in >place since the great depression, I guess. I believe it was sometime in >the early 70's they did away with them. About 80% of the population >owned their own homes, most of the rest were purchasing them from the >banks, had 3 to 4 weeks vacation time, union pay scale/benefits whether >the company was union or not, etc. I had heard about homeless people >who were willing to work, just had never seen one. > >Now, about 20% of the population own their own homes (the rest are >either purchasing them from the gov't/bank or renting.) I see homeless >people everywhere begging for work/education and loads of the "middle >class" struggling.

A sign that says "will work for food" doesn't mean that they are serious. Most panhandlers know exactly what works to maximize revenue. In front of our building, the panhandlers work in organized 2-hour shifts. The signs are always crudely lettered on brown cardboard, because that's what works best. The panhandlers are almost universally youngish white males; in a town that's 30% Chinese, I've never seen a Chinese beggar.

The large number of unemployed panhandlers is a symptom of widespread prosperity. Think about it.

>To tell me we are better off is a very poor joke, been there, seen it. >However, they have convinced the youngsters they are better off and >things are only getting better. > >Sure looks to me like we are heading towards another depression and >price controls ... we shall see what the future brings.

I doubt that we'll have a serious depression, and price controls only make things worse. Besides, most things, except housing, are dirt cheap in the USA.

John

You certainly demonstrate that is one way of "looking at it." However, I live in Stockton, California. We are inundated with Indians from Mexico representing themselves as Spanish. They gather, every morning, in various locations in the poorer districts, liquor store parking lots, vacant lots, quick stop lots, etc. You can hire them for ~$5.00 an hour cash. If the "homeless" must compete with them for "start positions", "take-a-job-just-to-survive-situations", etc.--they probably opt for a sign in front of your building ... can't really say what I'd do myself--keep an eye out for me. :-D

I do geocaching using GPS devices just for fun with the wife and a few friends (you know, the old "treasure hunt gig"--the wife just loves it) I have seen many of those suffering from "widespread prosperity" under bridges, along railroad tracks, in vacant lots, etc. Now the news may tell me one thing and gov't propaganda along with it--but, when my eyes tell me another--I'll leave you to decide what I believe ...

Yeah, my million dollar home was a real steal ... well, it would have been two million if it was located down in so. cal., so I guess some may view it as "lucky." :-(

While I don't believe anyone has a crystal ball which can predict our future accurately--and especially amongst such dramatic manipulations of the economy--I am still betting on my eyes ... like I said, we shall see what the future brings.

And, handing a homeless couple a ten dollar bill makes me feel good--even if their next stop is a liquor store. Again, I can't say what I'd do in their position--however, I prefer Jim Beam!

Regards, JS

Reply to
John Smith

Does not surprise me one bit.

And there are professionally unemployed panhandlers. Except that they call professionalism "working the system".

No, marzipan isn't cheap at all :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I forgot to mention, my first home cost me $12,000 (a beautiful, large home could be purchased for ~$30,000.) It was a fixer-upper--4 bedroom on 1/2 acre ... I worked six years, saved, and paid cash for it and all associated costs. My income was $20,000 a year ...

If the home I now live in was in the shape of the old $12,000 dollar one of decades past--it would have probably have sold for $850,000+. That implies, in my mind, I would need an annual salary of ~$1,000,000+ to still enjoy that same home-cost/wage ratio I once enjoyed. I probably should be ashamed--I DON'T! In fact, my total earnings are a long way from it ...

Regards, JS

Reply to
John Smith

In the city nearby me - there are often "Panhandlers" there - young and old alike. Some even play a Sax for money. I've had occasions - lots of them, to be approached. I do "not" give to the majority of them. I've heard it said in the "news" - that many of them would rather Panhandle than to apply for any social benefits. To each his own - I guess.

If I was to be a bum, I sure in hell wouldn't stay here - where it can get bitterly cold in the winter. But - in a way - you have to hand it to them, most likely - have no financial obligations, no home/utilities, family to keep, vehicle to insure.

There is in many cases - a distinct difference between a "Bum" and a "Panhandler". I've heard stories of some "Panhandlers" living quite well - some rather clean cut - shaven - not too bad of clothes on - certainly not looking deprived of food. As pointed out - sitting there with cups/pans/boxes - signs asking for money. I even seen a young lady (20s) with a litter of kittens asking for money to feed her and them. BUMS on the other hand - I've seen rummaging through garbage most of the time - looking for half eaten sandwiches, etc - and "NOT" asking for a dime from anyone. Everything they owned - either in a back pack - if not outright wearing it. I'm not quite sure how/why many got to that point - I have a hard time believing "Economical" issues are 100% at fault. Yes - to a degree - the economy played a hand - but still - there had/have to be other reasons.

A guy "appearing" as a "bum" - came to me in the local city's Federal Building "years" before Security was an issue - walked up - face to face - stepping on my feet so as to stop my movement. He asked me for a $1. I looked down at his feet on mine and then back to him - and told him - if you needed money you could have asked and I "might" have obliged. But, being you want to be an asshole about it - go screw yourself. Now - back off - before I knock you on your ass. He walked away - "I" went to the "Security" desk as it was - and reported it.

On another day - I was on a "business" trip one day - we (3 of us) stopped at a McDs for Breakfast. There was an elderly homeless man there (looking pretty ragged) - who had asked me "kindly" for some money to buy some coffee with. I told him to hang loose a minute. I went to order my breakfast - asked the lady if she knew him and if he was truly homeless - she said yes. I paid her for my breakfast and gave her money to buy one for him too. I went back - told him to go see the lady at the counter.

I don't mind helping anyone I "can" - I've spent the better part of about 30 years doing just that in a form or another. But, I won't tolerate any crap such as the "bum" pulled. That was not asking for help - it was shy of robbery. As for giving a person or couple $10 or so - well - they won't be buying booze with it. I'll buy them a meal first. If I want to pay for "booze" - "I" will be the one drinking it.

None of us ever know when "we" might need help - regardless how well off we might be - today. When it comes to "our" people in this country - I'll do what I can. The rest? Well - ........... I guess I'd do a case by case basis.

Reply to
radiosrfun

I don't know, I just don't know ... but, looks as if we are going to need smarter politicians than we have now. Krist, in California we gave up looking for them--we have just been hiring actors to play the part of governors!

However, when a young man, I lost a job--over-extended myself--yanno, the standard story of "The BIG Mistake." I was too proud to let the family know (brought it on myself--I was to be the one to get me out of the mess.) As everything began to "shake out", spent three weeks at a salvation army and got a job in construction (engineering degree at the time too.) First paycheck was enough to get into an apt., a few new clothes and eat well. Took my time, turned down "easier jobs" and got on with a well established, well paying company which had been stable for decades with excellent services/products--worked there with excellent benefits (paid doctor, hospital, prescriptions, even psychiatric!) and wages until they were purchased by a foreign interest and CHANGED! Met my wife, bought the house and moved on to greener pastures. Point is, today would that be so easy? I mean with laborers on every corner willing to work for wages I'd/most would laugh at?

Even my kids, I had to help them much more than I needed. Not because they are lazy, not because they would not work, not because they were not educated. I was at their sides and seen the reality--the opportunities had "dried up", compared to my time--lucky I had contacts which could assist in the industry--became not what-you-know but who-you-know. This new generation, in my humble opinion, faces even more severe "hills to climb."

Example:

Down in the LA area, showed up to work and the foreman was just "on my b*tt!" Told him off and walked off ... several blocks later that same day, had a new job which paid a little bit more.

The money, ten/twenty bucks to someone on the street which strikes my heart?--I only have the power to give it, or not. What they do with it is on them--I lost all desire to be a control freak decades ago ... my kids have all been raised, don't wish to be a pseudo-parent to any others.

Others mileage may vary ...

Regards, JS

Reply to
John Smith

Part of that is to blame on ourselves, part on the kids. We give them cars when they are 16. I didn't have a car until 21 and only because I took a basket case off of someone who had tried to restore the engine and messed it up. Almost everything I owned was either home-built or salvaged, and I liked that. Because that way I learned.

Look at engineers today: How many young grads just throw their hands into the air when the toaster croaks and just buy a new one? "Oh, it's just $24.99". I repaired our toaster last weekend. Took five minutes and those $24.99 are still in the bank.

The consequence is that most of the new EEs are not able to whip up a circuit on their own. Universities don't teach that, mine didn't either. You've got to do that yourself and you need mentors. And don't expect mentors to miraculously fall from the sky. I had to look for mine as well because they did not fall from the sky.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

One of our TV stations staked out an intersection and watched one of our "beggars" all day. At the end of the day he walked over behind the local IHOP and got into his late-model Mercedes.

What gets me are the ones with signs: "Vietnam Veteran". But they aren't old enough ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And even worse - how many "their" age - who couldn't begin to tell you what Viet Nam - was or where!

Reply to
radiosrfun

Please provide a link.

Reply to
Richard Henry

They've mostly switched to Iraq Veteran.

I asked one "vet" where he was stationed in the war. He said Hanoi.

John

Perhaps everyone here is "right" and we are just speaking from different perspectives. Example: The three blind men who went to "see" the elephant.

I see that begging has been around since the "beginning", it is mentioned in the bible--an ancient book. In America it only became "necessary" relatively lately--I think there is probably a reason(s). Like the fact we seem to be ceasing exporting of our 1st world status to other nations and are now, seemingly, importing a 3rd world status form them!

Although the city I live in might be considered relatively small,

350,000+. The city is throwing a LOT of money at "redevelopment" of the downtown area and attempting to make it a "disneyland" (tourist attraction.)

What my city needs are decent jobs and focus on improving the living conditions of central California for ALL. Seems like a fat chance with the bunch of geniuses we have running things ...

I do feel justified in blaming the "leaders" (actually my employees/public-servants.) They claim to have answers and can do the best job at "fixing" these situations ... so my reply is simple--GET BUSY!

I would love to see their salaries/benefits/retirement/perks based on their job performance!

Regards, JS

Reply to
John Smith

I'd spend the $25 too. I make enough that repairing a stupid toaster that was never intended to be repaired isn't on my things to do list. Ripping out a bathroom and rebuilding it? I'm game! I'll even paint the house, after an appropriate amount of whining. "Consumer" crap? No way.

The university I went to did teach design, if you wanted to learn. It was certainly possible to "get around" labs and do mostly theory too (and there is a need for that) but if you wanted a good practical education it was there. With over 400 in my graduating class, there was a *lot* of room for choice.

--
Keith
Reply to

Sure, you can fire a boss but he still has a job and both can find another partner. Capitalism is a great thing.

--
Keith
Reply to

Check. Done that.

Check. Done that. Mostly the high parts on a ladder where my wife wouldn't go, the other parts my wife did while I was at work.

I will always do that unless I discover that a product is utter junk. Not so much to save a penny but because I don't endorse our "modern society" throw-away habits. I bet this toaster that I fixed will now work another 5-10 years. One less into the landfill.

The labs I've seen (including my university) were cookie-cutter experiments out of a book. Not much to learn there in terms of analog skills. You had to get into an institute, work up a reputation and then they'd give you the tough stuff where others had ground down their teeth already. And they paid good money!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Capitalism" is individual people making free choices. It's a process of continuous, microscopic evolution and optimization. Nowadays, it has very little to do with capital.

John

A beggar rolling out his sleeping bag under a bridge wouldn't habe got much TV coverage I guess.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Actually, kinda miss planning the next adventure, now that we're in an apartment.

SWMBO doesn't paint. She won't even do a step ladder.

I don't really endorse it. I'd buy a good one, even at 10X the cost, but I refuse to work on what was never designed to be touched. The problem is that even if you can find "good" appliances (and pay the 10x) they're still often crap, with a fancy name and case.

No cookie cutters, at least in the upper-division classes. It was honest design. It was a huge advantage starting my first job. I was miles ahead of all the other newbs. Some of them didn't know which was the business end of a soldering iron, so that's part is nothing new.

--
Keith
Reply to

Laptop or perhaps an HTPC disguised as a video component. Drill a hole in the floor to the PC in the basement below. Another TV in the office. There are many ways around short-sighted laws. ;-)

But it's not digital. It's RGB (or its inverse) at that point. That was the whole point of the Hauppauge announcement; their digitizer is after the DACs.

--
Keith
Reply to

[snip]

Around here you find 'em at every major freeway ramp.

I'd guess their income at $30-40 (or more) per hour.

I don't give 'em a dime, but I see lots of people giving.

So they are professional beggars... NOT homeless.

...Jim Thompson