Re: OT: Geothermal research

But it speaks volumes about their nuclear safety culture. And they mostly ship spent fuel to Europe for reprocessing.

AFAIK it is the first such shipment of high level waste back to them. Obviously an empty HL waste storage facility is completely safe.

They put it into a pond until it is cool enough (in both senses) to ship to Sellafield or La Hague for reprocessing - they are working on their own reprocessing and MOX fuel plant at the moment.

I suspect their high level above ground long term waste storage is almost completely empty. The underground repository is yet to be built. This is the first time the return to sender clause has been used. UK and France were content to be the worlds nuclear dustbin until recently.

The stuff is not yet underground. You can judge the number of very major incidents at the Sellafield site by counting the change(s) of name. The Thorp plant leak in 2005 was almost a bad enough MFU to warrant another rebranding. I could feel mildly aggrieved that the UK is not on JNPP's list of major countries planning to store nuclear waste when Belgium is!

Don't get me wrong here. I am in favour of nuclear power but I don't think their safety culture is quite up to the standard needed. And in the early days it was much much worse.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

It isn't. The text above has been corrected. I'll have to stop posting stuff at 1:48am - my brain doesn't work well at that time of night.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

rg:

Sheesh! The Federal Gov't's been dumping nuke waste and contaminated tools in an old salt mine about 2,000 feet below New Mexico ever since The Manhattan Project.

Why don't we ask them how they're safely operating the plants on the nuke-powered subs and aircraft carrier, and what they're doing with the spent fuel besides making bombs? Too highly classified?

We could cut our "dependence on foreign oil" and dramatically reduce "CO2 emissions" (which is a red herring anyway) by putting navy-style reactors in cruise ships, tankers, and cargo liners. Heck, somebody should invent a nuclear locomotive!

But that makes too much sense for anyone in power to seriously consider it.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise on Google groups

I want a pebble bed SUV.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

news: snipped-for-privacy@z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.c

seen

98.html

=20

=20

is

live

is

=20

Operations of the power reactors has been pretty good mostly. It is the = spent=20 fuel and other "waste" that was never well dealt with.

Reply to
JosephKK

e spent

That "mostly" excludes Chernobyl. Three Mile Island was another illustration of human error in action, happily with less drastic consequences.

Other industrial plant has killed people on a large scale

but nuclear reactors do give sloppy operators a better chance at breaking the record.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman