Re: OT: Geothermal research

Tide power is much tlaked about, but the only serious installation is

> in France > >
> > It does seem to work, but it is outside the contintenal United States > and thus presumably doesn't register on the right-wing sensibilities.

Also, tidal power is particularly problematic for "anti"s because the unpredictability argument can't be used against it.

Reply to
Nobody

And the cost per kWh, including initial cost... in other words, ROI?

Then there's nuclear power, mentioned to be pursued in Obama's SOTU address, but killed in his budget.

Why are leftists so phenomenally ignorant? ...Jim Thompson

Jim is being his usual ill-informed and ineducatable self. The Wikipedia entry on the Rance tidal power plant gives the amount of money spent on building the system (now long paid off) and the current cost of the power it produces "1.8c per kWh, versus 2.5c per kWh for nuclear" where the cents are presumably in Euro-cents, which would make it $0.27 per kWh versus $0.375 per kWh for nuclear.

with the well-known uncertainties about the cost of safely disposing of the radioactive waste - we've not found an acceptable solution after fifty years of looking, so it may reasonably be seen as difficult problem.

A singularly comical comment. Why is this particular rightist so phenomenally incapable of taking advantage of the information that he has been given?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Jim is being his usual ill-informed and ineducatable self. The Wikipedia entry on the Rance tidal power plant gives the amount of money spent on building the system (now long paid off) and the current cost of the power it produces "1.8c per kWh, versus 2.5c per kWh for nuclear" where the cents are presumably in Euro-cents, which would make it $0.27 per kWh versus $0.375 per kWh for nuclear.

with the well-known uncertainties about the cost of safely disposing of the radioactive waste - we've not found an acceptable solution after fifty years of looking, so it may reasonably be seen as difficult problem.

A singularly comical comment. Why is this particular rightist so phenomenally incapable of taking advantage of the information that he has been given?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Bill, your exchange rate is for 2012 or so, too much ahead of time you are.

Reply to
Ban

Tidal power is a problem because of greenies.

The UK has the perfect site on the river Severn:

It's been talked about for at least 30 years but we can't have 15GW of clean electricity because it will damage the habitat of the lesser spotted pterodactyl.

In summary if it's clean and practical the greens hate it.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Obama has no intention of actually allowing new nuclear power plants to be built. The catch is his "safe storage" requirement;he KILLED Yucca Mtn repository(all that money wasted...),and instituted ANOTHER lengthy study for a new site,slated to take TWO YEARS to complete.

Add that to his "bankrupt the coal industry" and ban on new oil/gas drilling and new refineries,Carbon "cap-n-trade",and you begin to see a picture,if you have your eyes open.

Obama wants to cripple America energy-wise. I do not believe it's ignorance.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Ban" wrote in news:hk9usl$h7h$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Odd,France and Japan seem to do it without any problem.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The UK have realised the true costs are very difficult to estimate, and it keeps going up and up every time they review it:

and

Note that France's one is claimed to be 20 times the estimated amount, and they haven't actually finished it yet. And all but one have been "postponed", gee I wonder why?

Also notice how countries that try and estimate it properly find it's in the order of at least half a billion per plant in the short term. But if you look at say China they have estimated about 10 million ;-)

And Japan haven't finished decomissioning a plant yet either, so probably have no idea how much it's going to actually cost in the long term:

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

rg:

Do tell us how. As far as I know, neither has any kind of long term respository, though each does claim to be selecting a suitable site, which is what everybody has been doing for the past fifty years, without ever actually finding one

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

s: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Jim Yanik has a number of extreme right-wing delusions. Because Obama won't go along with Exxon-Mobil and the rest of the fossil-carbon extraction industry, he's not favoured by the right-wing nitwits who Jim Yanik seems to take seriously.

The fossil-carbon extraction industry doesn't fancy being phased out in favour of sustainable wind- and solar-power sources, and denies that they are practical energy sources, and Jim is silly enough to take them seriously, rather than seeing their propaganda as self- serving lies.

It's pathetic and depressing.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

To be fair, they'd hate it a lot more if it were dirty and impractical.

In fact, the biggest problem with the Severn Barrage - as the Wikipedia article points out - is that it has to be huge to take full advantage of the site, which means that it would be very expensive.

Because it would be huge, it would chance the local environment, which makes it easy to put off the decision by commissioning yet another environmental impact study, and it is a little unfair to blame this governmental procrastination on the environmental lobby.

But Ravinghorde always reads his sources with a selective eye, only seeing the evidence that supports his point of view.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Of course. Green is the new red.

Watermellons.

Reply to
krw

Well, watermelon is green outside, red inside. But, it's sweet inside, which kind of breaks the analogy.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Close but no cigar; if it produces useful energy (which may help make=20 human life better) they hate it. Check some of the quotes from the=20 leadership of "Friends of the Earth".

Reply to
JosephKK

That is not true. Japan famously had the most recent dodgy criticality incident in its enrichment site at Tokai.

And they send a lot of their spent fuel to the UK and France for reprocessing - a consignment of the resulting high level waste is on its way back them from Sellafield as we speak. Nasty stuff that Al Qaeda would like to get its hands on for a very dirty bomb. Cheapskates probably won't guard it properly either on the long journey.

The UKs solution for long term storage of high level nuclear waste is not motivated by scientific evidence which would put the stuff deep under geologically stable dry rocks in an area where rich people live but expediency and putting the shit under Sellafield itself where most people are beholden to the company for their jobs. The latter is over heavily faulted rock with lots of ground water running through it.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

1EUR = 15USD?

I know that the USD isn't doing too well right now, but I didn't realise it was that bad ;)

Reply to
Nobody

Slowman is the most ignorant fairy on the planet... even more ignorant than Obama. ...Jim Thompson

        "This president is a real slow learner."

                      ...Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman

And if it's expensive, the government hates it, and blames it on environmental impact. If it was cheap, it would have been built decades ago, environmental impact be damned.

The biggest opponents to renewable energy are #@$%ing Middle-England NIMBYs. They'd be just as opposed to having a nuclear plant on their doorstep mind, but you can build the nuclear plant in some industrial wasteland and pipe the electricity in, whereas most renewables need open spaces.

Reply to
Nobody

Mmmm...tasty! Rather *=sparkling=* water, mate!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:qMSdnVgOjPymDvfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

A -processing- incident. Which has NOTHING to do with -storage- of nuclear waste.

You just told me that Japan IS storing their own nuclear waste. And we have not heard of any problems there. You haven't,or you would have mentioned it.

Has any PROBLEM been uncovered? Any leak of radiation?

And Martin still hasn't answered about France.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik