Re: OT: Attorney General Eric Holder does not believe the 2ndAmendment gives individuals the right to bear arms.

> > In the Federalist Papers, the guys who wrote the Constitution said no > > king would dare invade us, because the citizens would all have guns. > > In another section they wrote that the federal gov't would never get > > out of control, for the same reason. > > > For example, in Federalist 46, Madison says that a conquering army of > > federal troops would be met by 25% of the citizenry, under arms, > > preventing such an assault. > > > Obviously, they meant that citizens be armed, otherwise 25% opposing > > would be 1,000% impossible. > > > miso's stance is that the citizens be disarmed, and the federal gov't > > armed--exactly the scenario the Founders abhorred. > > =A0 =A0Would you want someone like Miso to be armed and stupid?

What difference would it make? You've already got any number of terminally stupid right wing nuts running around armed to the teeth.

Statistically speaking, they are more likely to kill themselves than anybody else, but not often enough that it offers any real prospect of immediate improvement in the collective genome.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

A generation of schools hasn't taught the People the basic civics they need to intelligently participate in a government of the People. So instead we get "Yes We Can!" from people who can't, and shouldn't.

miso started off thinking other people, believing in an individual right, don't understand the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Hopefully we've rectified that. That's a start. We need more of that.

Talking about this stuff is very healthy--that's the road to recovery.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

For one think, they haven't taught the students that the US constitution is to political organisation what MS/DOS is to operating systems.

A slightly partisan observation. Obama got his political education at Harvard and did rather well. George W Bush went to the Harvard Business School and clearly failed to learn enough to allow him to intelligently participate in a government of the People.

Not the way Jim Yanik would like them to understand it.

Probably not.

Unrealistic optimism about promoting right wing nuttery? The current Republican campaign about which right-wing loony deserves the right to go down in flames against Barack Obama should have made it clear that competing to be more of a right-wing idiot than the next candidate is a poor way to appeal to the majority of voters, even if it is vital to get the votes of registered Republicans..

But you've got a very long way to go.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

't

MS-DOS wasn't an operating system, it was a program loader with delusions of glory.

But if you believe that the Constitution is so flawed, in the way you appear to suggest, then we simply aren't going to be able to communicate. Our foundational views of the rights and responsibilities, of the appropriate scope, of government are simply too different. My views are founded in something that for you does not exist.

Reply to
rrusston

gov't

they

You are new here aren't you. James is a pretty rugged Constitutionalist, you seem to have misread his analogy.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk