Re: On good authority...

ury requires that the

he lied was

mad.

text -

> > > - Show quoted text - > > > I don't follow that. > > I'm not a lawyer, but I am beyond reasonably CERTAIN you must be under > > oath in order to commit perjury. > > Nope. For example, it can be perjury to lie on a government form, > such as a driver's license application.

But that's usually "sworn testimony" under the various state laws. That's why you have to sign, under the section that says "I swear this is all true...under penalty of perjury."

> Otherwise, it's just lying. This is > > a separate issue from the question of whether or not such statements > > (under oath) are germane.

Correct. Lying in court is perfectly fine if you're not sworn. Which is why they swear witnesses.

Lawyers are already considered sworn officers of the Court, entrusted with policing and ensuring fair play on Its behalf, and are bound by that oath and codes of ethical conduct that prevent them from engaging in trickery, dishonesty, or deceit before the Court. Theoretically, anyway.

Our system & the Court assumes and relies on their honesty and forthrightness. That's why it's especially offensive for a lawyer to commit perjury.

> (under oath + germane + intention to deceive) =3D perjury. > > Omit any one, and it's not perjury. > > -- > Keith

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Hilarious. Lawyers are the only people who make a living by lying in court.

John

Then they run for office. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The foxes keep a very nice henhouse, don't they?

Cheers, James

Reply to
James Arthur

Precisely why i call a law degree a doctor of legal lying.

Reply to
JosephKK

No, they make their living figuring out which bits of the truth work the best for their client. It is a large and important difference.

Reply to
MooseFET

You haven't seen them in action much have you? Corporate lawyers, patent lawyers, software business alliance are among the worst. Except for legislators.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yes I have seen them in action. Anyone can lie. Figuring out how to select among the truth is a major skill. The ones I've seen never actually told a lie.

Reply to
MooseFET

Different experience.

Reply to