Re: On good authority...

> There was no perjury. Check the record. Perjury requires that the > subject being lied about be germane. The topic on which he lied was > not. > > Question: Who old are you > lie from woman: 29 > > If the true age was not germane to the case this is not perjury. > > The BJ was a BJ which made all those who weren't getting any very mad.

Right, three elements, (2) is his escape clause, /all/ must be present:

(1) a false statement is made under oath or equivalent affirmation during a judicial proceeding;

(2) the statement must be material or relevant to the proceeding;

and

(3) the witness must have the Specific Intent to deceive.

I say (1) also does not apply because the so-called "judicial proceeding" was in fact a blatant abuse of process for which many Republican members of Congress should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

and...

The oath must be material to the question depending. Where the facts sworn to are wholly foreign from the purpose and altogether immaterial to the matter in question, the oath does not amount to a legal perjury.

2 Russell on Cr. 521; 3 Inst. 167; 8 Ves. jun. 35; 2 Rolle, 41, 42, 369; 1 Hawk. B. 1, c. 69, s. 8; Bac. Ab. Perjury, A; 2 N. & M. 118; 2 Mis. R. 158. Nor can perjury be assigned upon the valuation under oath, of a jewel or other thing, the value of which consists in estimation. Sid. 146; 1 Keble, 510.
Reply to
Fred Bloggs